Football stadium - die hard fans

Miq

Czech
Hello everyone!
I am currently translating an article about a football stadium and I'm stuck on one word.. Is there any special name in English for a part of the stadium where die hard fans usually sit/stand? So far, I've only come up with a periphrasis "sector for die hard fans", which seems unnecessarily long and clumsy.. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Typically such an area has a name specific to the stadium (such as "The Kop" at Anfield stadium). This particular example is so well known that it is sometimes borrowed for other stadiums. There are of course many people who don't like football and wouldn't understand the reference.

Last edited:

Miq

Czech
    Thank you! So basically, if I want it to be understandable to everybody, I should use the periphrasis :)

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Is there any special name in English for a part of the stadium where die hard fans usually sit/stand?
    Where is that section? Where do the die-hard fans usually sit? Is it at the 50-yard line, or someplace else?

Miq

Czech
    I'm not sure if we are talking about the same sport.. I mean European football (or soccer) and I don't think there's a 50-yard line there.. Anyway, I think (I'm not a football/soccer fan myself) that the die-hard fans usually sit behind one of the goals..

It's usually behind one of the goals — commonly the end nearest the town/city centre or the end with the greater seating capacity.

The captain who wins the toss almost always chooses to kick off away from that end so that in the second half his team is kicking towards the end where his noisiest supporters are located.

< Previous | Next >