Football stadiums

Edgardg

Polish, Poland
Hi,

could you tell me what form of noun should I use in this sentence:
"Football stadiums are not a safe place/ safe places" ?

Am I right that singular is better?

Thank you

• JamesM

Hi,

could you tell me what form of noun should I use in this sentence:
    "Football stadiums are not a safe place/ safe places" ?

Am I right that singular is better?

Thank you
    I'm afraid not. "Football stadiums" is a plural noun phrase. "Safe places" should agree with "stadiums." You should use the plural.

You could, however, say, "A football stadium is not a safe place." This is another construction commonly used in English. It does not refer to a single or specific stadium, but to any football stadium.

endeavour

UK - English
    Sorry to be pedantic here, but isn't the correct plural form of "stadium" actually "stadia"?
    (Although I personally would always say "stadiums").

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    Sorry to be pedantic here, but isn't the correct plural form of "stadium" actually "stadia"?
    (Although I personally would always say "stadiums").
    Stadia is the second choice of plurality for stadium.
    Stadia is also a stand alone word meaning tacheometry that makes use of a telescopic surveying instrument and a graduated staff calibrated to correspond with the distance from the observer.
    I have never heard stadia used to mean more than one stadium.

JamesM

I have never heard stadia used to mean more than one stadium.
    I have heard this, but only very rarely. It was used by commentators during the Olympics, for example. (Isn't it the name used for the multi-stadium complex being built for the Olympics in China?) In everyday American English, though, "stadia" would probably earn you a stare. :)

endeavour

UK - English
    I have heard this, but only very rarely. It was used by commentators during the Olympics, for example. (Isn't it the name used for the multi-stadium complex being built for the Olympics in China?) In everyday American English, though, "stadia" would probably earn you a stare. :)
    Same here (in the UK), although I've also heard "stadia" many times from sports commentators and on TV/radio news.
    Out of interest, would you say "podia" or "podiums"?
    Cheers.

< Previous | Next >