football; when you don't score a goal, you usually ...

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
Hello everyone

I'm part of a team that's working on a Slovenian-English dictionary and would like some help with the example described below.
I have to translate a few collocations with "goal". One of them was "to score a goal", while the other is in a way the opposite - when the opposite team scores one. In Slovenian, you would say "to get a goal" (literal translation, mind you). How would you express this in English?

Thanks ;)

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hello everyone

I'm part of a team that's working on a Slovenian-English dictionary and would like some help with the example described below.
    I have to translate a few collocations with "goal". One of them was "to score a goal", while the other is in a way the opposite - when the opposite team scores one. In Slovenian, you would say "to get a goal" (literal translation, mind you). How would you express this in English?

Thanks ;)
    In a match Slovenia versus England, if Slovenia score a goal, England are said to concede a goal.

The opposite of to score a goal is to concede a goal.

P.S. I've just seen Haylette's post. We do say let in, but that's more particularly for the defence, perhaps, or the goalkeeper particularly. I think concede is the normal word for the whole team. It's an odd use of the word because it suggests consent, albeit reluctant consent.

stargazer

Slovenia, Slovenian
    Hello Haylette & Thomas Tompion

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your help.

:thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >