football :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

novakovica

bulgarian
Hey guys,
I assume that the man half of the forum's members are football fans that`s why I address my question only to them :p Sorry girls, I promise to make up to you some other time
So, boys, please tell me how you call in English the yellow piece of paper, which the referee gives for violation on the playground pitch.
Sorry for the clumsy language interpretation.
Thanx

• Sev

France, french.
    novakovica said:
    Hey guys,
    I assume that the man half of the forum's members are football fans that`s why I address my question only to them :p Sorry girls, I promise to make up to you some other time
    So, boys, please tell me how you call in English the yellow piece of paper, which the referee gives for violation on the playground.
    Sorry for the clumsy language interpretation.
    Thanx
    I'm a girl, I don't especially like footbal, and I still think this is "yellow card" you're looking for. :)

fenixpollo

American English
    Score one point for the girls! Yellow card it is! The other card is the Red card.

The referee gave the Bulgarian player a yellow card for pushing. Then, he yellow-carded the French player for pushing back.

LadyBlakeney

Spain
    Honestly, Novakovika, I don't quite understand why you assumed a female human being wouldn't know such a thing. Apart from the fact that there are thousands, if not millions, of womens who are huge football fans, there's something called "common knowledge", where quantic physics may not be included, but yellow cards are. :)

I'm not really offended or anything, but I'd like to think prejudices do not belong here.

garryknight

UK, English
    LadyBlakeney said:
    I'm not really offended or anything, but I'd like to think prejudices do not belong here.
    What's just as prejudiced is assuming "that the man half of the forum's members are football fans". :p

And you're right - prejudices don't belong here. They belong in the Cultural Issues forum. ;)

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I am a man and hardly if ever spend more than five minutes watching a soccer (football) game - let alone discuss it. :eek:

Nevertheless, I am well aware of the terms yellow card and red card. :D

jacinta

USA English
    garryknight said:
    What's just as prejudiced is assuming "that the man half of the forum's members are football fans". :p

And you're right - prejudices don't belong here. They belong in the Cultural Issues forum. ;)
    Oooo, good one, garry! As my kids would say, "You want some ice for that burn?"

(I will be in the foyer later and will accept questions at that time ;) )

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    jacinta said:
    Oooo, good one, garry! As my kids would say, "You want some ice for that burn?"

(I will be in the foyer later and will accept questions at that time ;) )
    I know I'm wandering off topic, but could you explain that joke? :confused: I don't get it! :D

jacinta

USA English
    Elroy, give me a while...I'm watching the final game of the NBA finals. Basketball is my game. It'll be over in an hour 1/2 unless it goes into overtime!

mjscott

American English
    FYI-
    One of the soccer (football) players from our local high school was given a scholarship as the kicker for an ivy league REAL football (not soccer) team. Guess what else???

SHE'S A GIRL!!!!

jacinta

USA English
    elroy said:
    I know I'm wandering off topic, but could you explain that joke? :confused: I don't get it! :D
    It wasn't really a joke, Elroy. "Do you want some ice for that burn?" is just another way to say, "You got burned!"
    And that means, "You got dissed!"
    And that means...!

I'm not really pointing this to anyone specifically. When garry gave the little dig (jokingly) to the Cultural forum, that prompted me to say that that forum got burned!

That'll teach me to use slang here. It costs too much to try to explain it and I'm making the Mods work here! :D I'm chatting away! If you still don't get it, PM me. I'll try again! :)

Benjy

English - English
    mjscott said:
    FYI-
    One of the soccer (football) players from our local high school was given a scholarship as the kicker for an ivy league REAL football (not soccer) team. Guess what else???

SHE'S A GIRL!!!!
    real football.
    *sigh*

Sev

France, french.
    This thread is becoming quite chatty. The question has been fully answered, so I'm closing the thread now. :) . Let's say virtually closed :p
    Oh, well, I never want to became a modo, must be so boring...... :D

zebedee

Gt. Britain - English
    Sev said:
    This thread is becoming quite chatty. The question has been fully answered, so I'm closing the thread now. :) . Let's say virtually closed :p
    Oh, well, I never want to became a modo, must be so boring...... :D
    It's not when you can actually do it. *blows whistle and pulls out a red card from her pocket.* This thread is now closed.

See you in the Culture Forum, garry :D

zeb

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >