footer "cue" in prints

< Previous | Next >

Furtail

USA
English
Does anyone happen to know what the "cue" word printed at the bottom of the page break (to alert the reader to the first word at the top of the next page) is called in Latin? (Or, for that matter, in any other language?) There is a counterpart in music manuscripts called a "custos" that performs a similar function, but it indicates pitch rather than text.
It is common in Venetian prints of the 17th and 18th centuries, but I've seen it elsewhere, too.
I'll include an example, below. Thanks much!

Attachments

• Starless74

Italiano
    Or, for that matter, in any other language
    The Italian term for it is: richiamo [riˈkjamo]
    Its use began in Venice in the XV Century when Latin was a long-dead language,
    which may suggest a Latin equivalent of the term never existed.
    I couldn't find any Latin reference to it anyway, so wait for more answers.

Last edited:

Scholiast

saluete amici!
    The Italian term for it is: richiamo [riˈkjamo]
    Its use began in Venice in the XV Century when Latin was a long-dead language,
    which may suggest a Latin equivalent of the term never existed.
    Latin continued to be in use in scientific and juristic publications for another couple of centuries or so. I believe the Latin term for the 'catchword' was reclamans.
    Σ

Sobakus

Spot on! Wikipedia: reclamans :thumbsup:
    Apparently they were already used way before the Reinassance
    but had long fallen into disuse by the time they were re-introduced.
    My caution in #2 ("may") was justified. :oops:
    I believe you've misunderstood that. The practice never fell into disuse, but persisted through the Middle Ages. Also, Latin may have been a dead language, but it was the default language of writing and later print. I imagine that the entirety of Romance terminology for writing and printing has been borrowed and/or adapted from Latin, including Italian richiamo. For a long time even if you chose to print in, say, Venetian, you still had to resort to unadapted Latin to describe the process, whence the various verso's, imprimatur's, q.v.'s, e.g.'s and etc.'s of Europe.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >