For a little while you will perhaps be as you are now

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Jane Eyre Chapter 24

Quotation: “For a little while you will perhaps be as you are now,—a very little while; and then you will turn cool; and then you will be capricious; and then you will be stern, and I shall have much ado to please you: but when you get well used to me, you will perhaps like me again,—like me, I say, not love me. I suppose your love will effervesce in six months, or less. I have observed in books written by men, that period assigned as the farthest to which a husband’s ardour extends. Yet, after all, as a friend and companion, I hope never to become quite distasteful to my dear master.”

“Distasteful! and like you again! “

Context: And then Mr. R said “I think I shall like you again, and yet again: and I will make you confess I do not only like, but love you—with truth, fervor, constancy.”
===
Hi everyone! I don’t quite understand the bold part. I think “fervor” underlined echoes “turn cool and “constancy” does “capricious”. And then I interpret it as below. Is it correct?

“You will love me for a little while when I am still new to me; and then your fervor will cool as you begin to get used to me; and then you won’t be faithful to me (you will have a strong disposition to seek another woman/girl) as you get more used to me; and then you will be harsh/grim, expressive of severe displeasure as you get furthermore used to me, and I shall have much ado to please you (because of your severe displeasure): but when you get well used to me, you will perhaps like me again,—like me, I say, not love me.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    “You will love me as you do now for a little while because I am still new to you; and then your fervor will cool as you begin to get used to me; and then you won’t be faithful to me (you will have a strong disposition to seek another woman/girl) will be inconsistent in both the frequency and the way you express your love and be driven by your changing moods, as you get more used to me; and then you will be harsh/grim, expressive of severe displeasure demanding and authoritative as you get furthermore used to me, and I shall have to work hard to please you (because of your severe displeasure attitude): but when you get well used to me, you will perhaps like me again,—like me, I say, not love me.

< Previous | Next >