for a shake and a cut

Quantz

French
Context is the story of a young successful contract negotiator.

"Gabriel negotiated a contract whereby
for a shake and a cut Ambroise Paré became the first wealthy one-armed undertaker in Hellwaine, ME."

Not sure to understand "for a shake and a cut". Something related to surgery (Ambroise Paré) or juste something like "en deux temps trois mouvements " ?

• CarlosRapido

français - English (Can)
    I don't think your source is talking about Ambroise Paré, surgeon to the king of France of the 1500's ....Paré became the first wealthy one-armed undertaker in Hellwaine, ME. The state of Maine didn't exist in those years.

akaAJ

American English, Yiddish
    Doubtless an inside joke; Maine and New Hampshire have many former Québécois residents with (obviously) French names. I still need more context.

Language Hound

American English
    My educated guess is that it means "with a handshake and for a cut of the profits."
    (For some reason, I'm unable to access the text on google books so I can't be sure.)

pointvirgule

langue française
    shake : Slang A bargain or deal: getting a fair shake.
    cut : Informal A portion of profits or earnings; a share.
    (Source : American Heritage Dictionary, via thefreedictionary)

Cependant, pas assez de contexte pour savoir quelle est la nature de cette aubaine, et qui en profite et empoche une part des bénéfices.

Ajout : Mais peut-être bien, après tout, en effet, que shake veut juste dire handshake (un contrat conclu à l'amiable par une simple poignée de mains). C'est sensé.

Last edited:

Quantz

French
    My educated guess is that it means "with a handshake and for a cut of the profits."
    (For some reason, I'm unable to access the text on google books so I can't be sure.)
    Bravo.

shake : Slang A bargain or deal: getting a fair shake.
    cut : Informal A portion of profits or earnings; a share.
    (Source : American Heritage Dictionary, via thefreedictionary)

Cependant, pas assez de contexte pour savoir quelle est la nature de cette aubaine, et qui en profite et empoche une part des bénéfices.
    Re-bravo.

BruceG

English-US
    I think the expression is a shave and a haircut. Wikipedia says "In music, the call "Shave and a Haircut" and the associated response "two bits" is a simple, 7-note musical couplet or riff popularly used at the end of a musical performance, usually for comic effect..."Two bits" is an archaism in the United States for 25 cents, a quarter."Ambroise became wealthy on a 25 cent investment.

Zyprexa

In Who Framed Roger Rabbit, you may remember Roger betrays his hiding place because he cannot resist completing the jingle: A shave and a haircut -- two bits! (when was the last time any of us had a haircut for 25c?) Anyway, regrettably, much as the allusion is seductive, I think the posts by Language Hound and by ";" are even more so for me, and pretty much nail it.

akaAJ

Language Hound's emendation "with a handshake and for a cut" gives the quote a straightforward meaning. With the single preposition "for" there remains the possibility that "shake" is a typo for "shape" or "shave".

Language Hound

American English
    With the single preposition "for" there remains the possibility that "shake" is a typo for "shape" or "shave".
    I don't believe so.
    I understand it as he bought the business--or whatever the contract allowed him to do-- "for a (hand)shake and a cut of the profits."
    I see "for..." being used to express the "price."

akaAJ

There is no mention of "buying", no sign of who is giving up the fortune and who is getting a cut (it must be someone else -- who would give up the whole to retain a fraction, for a handshake?), nor who shook hands..This could be a fairly shady transaction or conspiracy to defraud. It could be that Gabriel sealed the deal when Ambroise offered him a share of the profits and they shook hands on it. Or it could be a typo; I still think the single "for" invites ambiguity.

< Previous | Next >