for a true patriot

< Previous | Next >

Moviefans

Chinese
Hi, everyone.

I came across such a phrase in a personal writing. I am not sure whether this is acceptable or tolerable, or whether it is accurate to use this phrase.

The whole sentence is "For a true patriot, unselfishness is very important."
It seems the meaning is simialr with "To be a true patriot, unselfishness is very important."

In dictionaries, I find the pharse is "for sth to do sth." But here there is no "to do" followed.
The dictonaries also indicate that when we use "for", it means a particular quality will be discussed. eg. It's quite warm for January. She's tall for her age. He's not bad for a beginner.

But I'm not sure that the three examples here correlate to the one I mentioned above.

Could you tell me whether this blue sentence is acceptable or not, in written and/or spoken English?

Thank you.

• sir archie

Banned
    english
    yes , your sentence is acceptableand correct.
    It means that if you are a true patriot, unselfishness is very important.

Orange Blossom

U.S.A. English
    The dictonaries also indicate that when we use "for", it means a particular quality will be discussed.

"For a true patriot" is quite similar to "for a beginner" Patriot is a quality, but has been used so much it has become a noun, much as "beginner" has.

You could also reverse the sentence:

Unselfishness is very important for a true patriot.

Of course, this changes the focus of the sentence from patriot to unselfishness.

Orange Blossom

< Previous | Next >