"...for a week and thereafter weekly..."

< Previous | Next >

Danae

Portuguese - Portugal
I'm having some problems with this formulation of an agreement:

This tenancy begins on…………………… for a week and thereafter weekly until brought to an end, and it is an assured non-shorthold tenancy the terms of which are set out in this tenancy agreement.

Do the words underlined mean that the agreement lasts for a week? Why does it repeat in other words "thereafter weekly"? :confused:

• Joelline

American English
    I think you may need someone with a legal background to clarify this; however, to me it means that the tenancy begins on (for example) Sept. 10 and lasts for exactly one week, but that it is subject to automatic renewal for periods of one week until one or both parties cancel it.

Wait for someone well versed in the law to give a definitive answer.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    It's definitely worded awkward but it simply means that the tenancy is on a weekly basis starting on ___. It's simply an overkill way of reiterating that it's a weekly tenancy. The sentence would be better drafted as:

"This tenancy begins on _________________ for a period of one week and continues thereafter on a weekly basis until terminated.

Even that's not great but I think it's less confusing.

tinlizzy

USA - English
    Hi Danae

Maybe it meant to say for the week and thereafter weekly. Say the weekly tenancy runs Sun-Sun but the tenant moves in on Weds. he is then responsible for paying a full week rent even if it's less than a week to begin.

Danae

Portuguese - Portugal
    I still think it sounds a bit redundant to say both things ("for a week" and "weekly")...a bit odd to, but legal language is so particular and unique in the way things are expressed...

The first "for a week" may underline the fact that you pay the rent once a week and the other "weekly" that you pay every other weeks until the end of the agreement. It still points out to the same thing, in the end...:D only said a bit differently.

Thank you for your suggestions and your time in solving this out.;)

< Previous | Next >