For all the outreach and obfuscation

< Previous | Next >

ebrahim

Persian
Hi,

The first part of the paragraphs seems a little obscure to me. Is that saying that 'putting aside all the broadening of relations and their complexities'...?

"For all the outreach and obfuscation, only two powers are central to Saudi survival—Iran and the United States. Fearful Saudis see Iran as their major threat for both religious and political reasons."

On Saudi Arabia: Karen House

• ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I'd say that's the meaning, ebrahim. But "obfuscation" isnt "complexities"; it's language designed to be obscure and ambiguous, non-committal.

jmichaelm

English - US
    What are you uncertain about? "For all" means "despite" or "ignoring" or as you suggest "putting aside" so you could read this as "Putting aside all the outreach and obfuscation..."

In context I expect the meaning of "outreach" and "obfuscation" will be clearer. Do you have some context preceding this?

ebrahim

Persian
    In context I expect the meaning of "outreach" and "obfuscation" will be clearer. Do you have some context preceding this?
    This is the preceding paragraph

Clearly Saudi Arabia has shifted from singular dependence on the United States to more of a multipolar foreign policy. Saudi foreign minister Prince Saud al Faisal has succinctly summed up the shift in Saudi-U.S. relations: “It’s a Muslim marriage, not a Catholic marriage.” This is a clever way of saying Saudi Arabia now has multiple marriage partners, as allowed in Islam. That said, however, there is no doubt that the United States remains Saudi Arabia’s first and paramount wife.

jmichaelm

English - US
    The "multipolar foreign policy" certainly corresponds to "outreach". I would guess that the author believes the whole outreach discussion as it is represented by Prince Saud al Faisal is no more than "obfuscation", covering up the true nature of Saudi's situation. Namely that its future depends on Iran and the United States.

< Previous | Next >