for an hour later

navi

Banned
armenian
Which of these is correct:
1-When I want to see somebody, I call them up and set up a meet-up for an hour later.
2-When I want to see somebody, I call them up and set up a meet-up an hour later.

• That depends on what you want to say. The first one means that you call them up and set up a meeting while talking on the phone, and the meeting is to take place in an hour. Yeah, and I think the correct preposition is in and not for, though I'm not sure. The second one means that you call them up and set up a meeting an hour after the calling.

marget

navi said:
    1-When I want to see somebody, I call them up and set up a meet-up for an hour later.
    2-When I want to see somebody, I call them up and set up a meet-up an hour later.
    I'd prefer to say "When I want to see people, I call them up and set up a meeting for an hour later."

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    In simple terms, the 1st one means you will meet that person in an hour.
    The 2nd one means you will actually set (organise) the meet-up an hour later for another time.

A90Six

England - English.
    navi said:
    Too many ups for my liking.

The explanations of the differences between the two are strictly correct, but I would reword it to:
    When I want to see somebody, I call them and arrange to meet them an hour later.

I realise that it may be said that this would mean, "I would call them first, and then arrange to meet them an hour after calling", but the chance of somebody misunderstanding the sentence in this way would be, I think, almost impossible. Who would call someone, and then contact them again in some way an hour later to arrange a meeting? If they were going to do so, that they would specify it in the sentence, "When I want to see someone, I call them, then contact them again an hour later to arrange to meet them."

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    1 means that you call up the person (say at 14:00) and (in that call) set up a meeting for 15:00.
    2 implies that you call up the person (say at 14:00) and an hour later you set up a meeting for an undisclosed time.