for/at the end of April

plalex

Polish
I've got a polish sentence:
(....) zgodnie z harmonogramem ustalonym na ostatnim spotkaniu koordynacyjnym na koniec kwietnia przewidziano zakończenie prac nad Projektem Wstępnym

(...)pursuant to the schedule established at the last coordination meeting, the end of works on Preliminary Design was foreseen for/ at the end of April
How should I write?

Could anyone tell me what's the difference between for/at/in the end of ...?
Aleksandra

• Wiatrak

Nederlands / Dutch
    Hi plalex,

You can use 'at' when you are talking about a location. This can be a location in time or place. So, in regard to your example, you should use 'at the end of April'.

'For' you will need when talking about a period of time, an interval. An example would be: 'for three months' or 'for a while'.

Of course, another possibility is: 'before the end of April'.

plalex

Polish
    Thank you very much. Could anyone explain the difference between for/at/in the end of ... ?

Szkot

UK English
    For the end of April is often used with forward-looking words such as planned, scheduled, foreseen (I would use it in your sentence, unlike Wiatrak).

At the end of April describes when something happens, will happen or happened.

You could have a sentence - At the end of April we decided to schedule the work for the autumn. Decision in April, work in the autumn.

In the end of April - I think that it is not normal English, and you should use at instead. Google shows it is sometimes used with the same meaning as at. This thread agrees with me :).

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Just to give an example of how "in the end" can be used:
    In the end, someone explained which preposition I should use in this sentence.
    W końcu (w znaczeniu: wreszczie) ktoś mi wytłumaczył jaki przyimek powinnam zastosować w tym zdaniu.

Old Raft

Polish
    For the end of April is often used with forward-looking words such as planned, scheduled, foreseen (I would use it in your sentence, unlike Wiatrak).

At the end of April describes when something happens, will happen or happened.

You could have a sentence - At the end of April we decided to schedule the work for the autumn. Decision in April, work in the autumn.
    That's a good explanation. You could have either "forseen for..." or "forseen at..." depending on the meaning. Probably the first is what was meant. Also, it's capitalized "Polish", except when you mean shoe polishing. And it's "work" not "works" except when you mean "gas/water works" or similar.
    But, apart from this, do you realize, Aleksandra, just how bureaucratic it sounds, in British English at least, to say "pursuant to the schedule established at the last coordination meeting, the end of work on Preliminary Design was foreseen for the end of April"? This sort of thing is sadly not unusual in today's Polish, so it may well be a faithful translation, but civilized people should be ashamed of even half of that monstrous mouthful.

< Previous | Next >