For components to be

< Previous | Next >

Baltic Sea

Banned
Polish
Hello everybody!

I want to make certain that I get the below-mentioned sentence right.

For components to be assembled, built under significantly different temperature conditions, dimensions shall be computed.

I understand the sentence as follows:

In order for components to be assembled, built under significantly different temperature conditions, dimensions shall be computed.

or

In order that components should (can) be assembled, built under significantly different temperature conditions, dimensions shall be computed.

What's your opinion on that?

• Anion

UK
    English
    I think that you need to elaborate further in your sentence to convey the meaning you intend accurately. If I have understood what you want to say correctly, then I would phrase it as follows: "For components that have been fabricated under different temperature conditions to be assembled, their future dimensions have to be computed." You can also replace "For ..." with "In order for ..." or "In order that..." in the above sentence, but it is the remainder of your phrase which needs to be made clearer.

Baltic Sea

Banned
    Polish
    Thanks, Anion. The whole sentence reads as follows:
    For components to be assembled, built under significantly different temperature conditions, dimensions shall be computed to the reference temperature and this shall be annotated on any subsequently produced document or report.

Baltic Sea

Banned
    Polish
    I'm not the author of the text but maybe it shouldn have been formulated in another way.
    For instance: For components to be assembled and built under significantly different temperature conditions, dimensions shall be computed to thereference temperature and this shall be annotated on any subsequently produced document or report.

Anion

UK
    English
    So, "Since components will have different dimensions at different temperatures their proper assembly can only be assured if the temperature at which they are to operate is known: the 'reference temperature'. When components are manufactured at different temperatures the dimensions which they will actually have at the reference temperature must be calculated and these dimentions (and the reference temperature) must be stated in all documents or reports subsequently produced." Whether you want to say all this is, I think, a question of how much knowledge you believe the reader of your text will have and the clarity you want to achieve.

Baltic Sea

Banned
    Polish
    The part of the sentence that worries me most is this: For components to be assembled,built under significantly different temperature conditions.
    It is not known whether the components have already been built and are to be assembled later on or the components are to be assembled, (and) built (erected).

< Previous | Next >