: for disturbed bodily control mirrors both...

shiningstar

turkish
Hi,

The sentence below is taken from the book of "Implicit meanings: selected essays in anthropology" by Mary Douglas.

"With laughter there is a third level of appositeness: for disturbed bodily control mirrors both the joke structure and the social structure."

I read the sentence as "With laughter there is a third level of appositeness: because (or since) disturbed bodily control mirrors both the joke structure and the social structure."

I want to know if I got it right. Can I replace "for" with "because" or "since" here?

Last edited:
  • bibliolept

AE, Español
    What is being discussed here, Shiningstar?

Also, perhaps the preceding sentence or two would help us answer. Don't forget that the rules allow you to quote up to four sentences.

shiningstar

turkish
    "To the pleasure of the joke itself, whatever it may be, is added enjoyment of a hidden wit, the congruence of the joke structure with the social structure. With laughter there is a third level of appositeness: for disturbed bodily control mirrors both the joke structure and the social structure. Here there is the germ of an answer to the puzzle of why tickling should provoke laughter, discussed by Koestler (1964)."

shiningstar

turkish
    very interesting:) Thanks Bibliolept. One more question about this matter. Can we always take "for" as "because" or "since" in a sentence structure like the one above?

DS56

English
    I think part of the issue is that the sentence is using nonstandard grammar. Normally, there would be a comma before "for"; or, there would be a colon and no "for". The colon by itself implies a logical/causal connection (X mirrors Y, THEREFORE there is a third relationship of appositeness) and colons usually introduce independent clauses (or lists), whereas "for" makes the second phrase into a dependent clause.

< Previous | Next >