for every week you rent a car, you get 2 days free of charge

< Previous | Next >

circulation

Japanese
Some car hire shop's advertisement says
"For every week you rent one of our cars, you get 2 entire days free of charge."

then, how much actually I need to pay to rent a car for 7 days?

If the rate is $100 per day.
Should I pay $500 for a week rental?

Or, I need to pay $700 and get a free voucher or something to rent a car next time?

• Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Welcome to the forum. :)

It's more a math question than a language question. You might ask your math teacher, though. :)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello circulation.

Welcome to the forum. :)

"For every [X] you get [Y]" means that every time you do X, you get Y.

I would understand this:
    "For every week you rent one of our cars, you get 2 entire days free of charge."

to mean that for every week you rent a car, paying the full fee for that week, you get two more days for free.

If the fee is $100 dollars a day, then it will cost you $700 dollars to rent the car for a week. After that you will get 2 more days for free. You will get a total of 9 days for $700.

That is what the grammar tells me. However, the wise thing to do is to check with the company to ask them whether that is what they mean. They may have something else in mind. :)

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    I agree with Cagey. I interpret it the same way for the same reason, in addition to having a "gut feeling" based on my business sense that this is what is meant.

circulation

Japanese
    Cagey

Thank you for your reply.
    It's clear for me now.

"For every [X]" is one transaction.
    So I have to meet this condition at first, then the second condition "you get [Y]" will be valid.

The sentence in question is on my book.
    If it is said in Japanese, the sentence would have some ambiguity, so we usually add "You will get a total of 9 days for $700" at last.

I wanted to know whether it is clear in English.

circulation

Japanese
    Thanks MattiasNYC.

I'm satisfied that I could know everyone interpret in the same way.

It's the same with "buy 1 get 1".
    We actually buy at least 1.

< Previous | Next >