for it not to bother her

< Previous | Next >

Mr.Naom

Spanish
Hi,

From The Girl On The Train by Paula Howkins:
"so instead he said he’d buy me out and stay on until he got the right price for it. But
he never found the right buyer, instead he moved her in, and she loved the house like I did, and
they decided to stay. She must be very secure in herself, I suppose, in them, (for it not to bother
her), to walk where another woman has walked before. She obviously doesn’t think of me as a threat."

I can't understand structure between the brackets especially "it"!
Anyone can help me?

Thanks a lot!

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It's an idiomatic construction.

- The music here is much too loud. You must be deaf for it not to bother you.

Since it (the loud music) doesn't bother you, you must be deaf.

Chasint

English - England
    Hi,

From The Girl On The Train by Paula Howkins:
    "so instead he said he’d buy me out and stay on until he got the right price for it. But
    he never found the right buyer, instead he moved her in, and she loved the house like I did, and
    they decided to stay. She must be very secure in herself, I suppose, in them, (for it not to bother
    her), to walk where another woman has walked before. She obviously doesn’t think of me as a threat."

I can't understand ... especially "it"!
    'It' refers to the circumstances. Specifically that another woman has lived there before.

"It" is the fact that she is walking where another woman has walked before.

She must be very secure for it not to bother her = She must be very secure for the fact that she is walking where another woman has walked before not to bother her.

< Previous | Next >