For later

< Previous | Next >

old5

Chinese
In the following paragraph, there are two "for" out there, one of them is redundant.

Listening, and more importantly, showing you’re listening is one of the most useful skills in business. Firstly, you can use it to 'coach' and develop your staff by asking them questions and for reserving your comments or feedback for later.

My teacher believes that the second one is spare. He conceives of it as the structure of "you can use it ... for reserving your comments or feedback later".

But I think the first one should be omitted. I suppose that the structure here could be "to coach ... by asking ... and reserving ... for later". That makes more sense to me. Besides, "for later" here means "You can give your comments or feedback later", I guess.

We both stick to our guns. :mad:
Apparently, the best way to settle this argument is to find some native speakers to see what's coming next...:)
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • wandle

English - British
    Apparently, the best way to settle this argument is to find some native speakers to see what's coming next...:)
    What comes next, I predict, is a sentence starting 'Secondly, you can use it to...' (or something equivalent to that).
    It is not good style to write 'you can use it to do A and for doing B'. Either use 'to do' for both, or 'for doing' for both.

In other words, I am sure you are correct, old5.
    The whole phrase 'by asking them questions and reserving your comments or feedback for later' expresses a single concept: that of taking information in and preparing a subsequent response.

Also, it would not make sense to say 'reserve your comments and feedback later'.
    We reserve a thing now, in order to use it later. 'For later' is a convenient short phrase which means 'in order to [use a thing] later'.

I hope you can share this information with your teacher without too much embarrassment (!)

old5

Chinese
    Thanks, Wandle.
    I think your answer can be very compelling.
    It's OK. We often argue about English question, without embarrassment though.:)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >