For lovers of fine dining, we invite you to sample our dishes; inspired by modern Galician cooking a

< Previous | Next >

spainman

english
For lovers of fine dining, we invite you to sample our dishes; inspired by modern Galician cooking as well as other quality dishes from around the world.

The above phrase is a tag line I wanted to use for a fine dining Restaurant. I have two questions.

Is the phrase far two long?
Is the punctuation correct ?

I would appreciate help to make it better. I thought about losing as well as, and substituting it for and

• grassy

Polish
    If you are asking about the semicolon, it's used incorrectly here. If you want to correct it and keep the word order, you have to replace the semicolon with a comma and add which are there.

Edit: I have changed my mind. :D

Packard

USA, English
    If you are worried that the sentence is too long, divide it into multiple sentences.

If you love fine dining, we invite you to sample our dishes ["fare" may be a better word choice than "dishes"]. Our food is inspired by ..."

spainman

english
    If you are asking about the semicolon, it's used incorrectly here. If you want to correct it and keep the word order, you have to replace the semicolon with a comma and add which are there.
    Hi there,
    Thanks for the reply.

For lovers of fine dining, we invite you to sample our dishes, which are inspired by modern Galician cooking as well as other quality dishes from around the world.

Do you have an opinion on how you would shorten the phrase to convey the same message ?
    Spainman

Last edited:

Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    our dishes that are inspired by modern Galician cooking as well as other quality dishes from around the world.
    Are the dishes inspired both by Galician cooking and by other culinary traditions?

If you offer (1) dishes inspired by Galician cooking and (2) other dishes, this could be made clearer.

But I can't suggest anything because I do not know what you mean.

I wonder too if your dishes are inspired specifically by modern Galician cooking, as opposed to traditional Galician cooking. If the former, then perhaps they actually are modern Galician cooking?

spainman

english
    If you are worried that the sentence is too long, divide it into multiple sentences.

If you love fine dining, we invite you to sample our dishes ["fare" may be a better word choice than "dishes"]. Our food is inspired by ..."
    Are the dishes inspired both by Galician cooking and by other culinary traditions?

If you offer (1) dishes inspired by Galician cooking and (2) other dishes, this could be made clearer.

But I can't suggest anything because I do not know what you mean.

I wonder too if your dishes are inspired specifically by modern Galician cooking, as opposed to traditional Galician cooking. If the former, then perhaps they actually are modern Galician cooking?
    This is a good point: For lovers of fine dining, we invite you to sample our dishes, which are inspired by modern Galician cooking and other culinary traditions from around the world.

It is Modern as opposed to traditional Galician

Packard

USA, English
    < --- >

Are you limiting this to Spanish, Galician and Portuguese cooking?

< Please don't rewrite sentences. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:

spainman

english

Ok. Good suggestion . thanks for the input

spainman

english
    < ---- >

Are you limiting this to Spanish, Galician and Portuguese cooking?
    Yes, it is Spanish, inspired by (modern Galician) cooking and other culinary traditions from around the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >