for sometime

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
“The news came as no surprise to me. I have known for some time that the factory was likely to close.”
1. I have my doubts about “for some time”. I am wondering if I could use “in some time” or “at some time”, why I have to use “for some time”
2. Could I change “likely” for “possible” by rewriting this sentence like this:
“The news came as no surprise to me. I have known for some time that it is possible for the factory to be closed.”
Thanks a lot.

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    "For some time" would be the only one that should be used in this particular sentence.
    To use possible, you would say "I have known for some time that it was possible that the factory might close."
    Note that "possible" and "likely" are not synonymous. "Probable" and "likely" are synonymous, and you would use it in the same manner as possible is used in the example I wrote.

Joelline

American English
    Hi Mimi,

"For some time" is very commonly used in this context, it simply means "for a while." "In some time" is not a common English collocation. "At some time" is common, but does not mean the same thing as "for some time."

I'm not sure why you don't like "likely to close"; however, you could say, "I've known for some time that it was possible that the factory would close."

Hope this helps. It's been some time since we were both online at the same time, and it's nice to read your posts again!

Joelline

bibliolept

AE, Español
    "I have not talked to her in some time."
    This is not uncommon, but it does not have the same meaning as "for some time" in the example provided by the original poster.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you, bibliolept, cycloneviv and Joelline, for helping me.
    Joelline: I have not seen you and I have a plan to go to your home. (PM)

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    "I have not talked to her in some time."
    This is not uncommon, but it does not have the same meaning as "for some time" in the example provided by the original poster.
    Hi, bibliolept.
    I will say that I will not talk to her in some time.
    Am I right?
    Thanks.

< Previous | Next >