for (such) a long time

Luis_RM

Spanish - Spain
Hi everyone!

I was making a Use of English's exercice, specifically the "Open Cloze", and I have to doubt with this sentence:

"It was an awful experience having to talk in front of the whole school FOR such a long time"

My doubt is about the meaning of "for such a long time" and if "for a long time" is not the same.

Thanks!!

• CJ1997

English- United States
    There is not much of a difference. "For such a long time" when it's said from one person to another shows more of a personal opinion whereas "for a long time" would fit most general opinions. In cases like this, such works similar to tan and -ísimo showing emphasis and general personal opinion.

SevenDays

Spanish
    Hi everyone!

I was making a Use of English's exercice, specifically the "Open Cloze", and I have to doubt with this sentence:

"It was an awful experience having to talk in front of the whole school FOR such a long time"

My doubt is about the meaning of "for such a long time" and if "for a long time" is not the same.

Thanks!!
    The meaning is the same, but you lose expressiveness/emotion if you omit "such," given that in this context "such" means "a long time" in a "high or highest degree." Now, you can omit "such" because the word is a modifier in a noun phrase, and the noun phrase ("a long time") still functions as the object of the preposition "for." In other words, "such" is optional syntactically, but semantically, it plays an important expressive role.

< Previous | Next >