1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

for (such) a long time

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Luis_RM, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Luis_RM New Member

Spanish - Spain
    Hi everyone!

I was making a Use of English's exercice, specifically the "Open Cloze", and I have to doubt with this sentence:

"It was an awful experience having to talk in front of the whole school FOR such a long time"

My doubt is about the meaning of "for such a long time" and if "for a long time" is not the same.

Thanks!!

2. sound shift

sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Hello,

It's the difference between "durante tanto tiempo" and "durante mucho tiempo".

3. Luis_RM New Member

Spanish - Spain
    Thanks!!

4. CJ1997 New Member

English- United States
    There is not much of a difference. "For such a long time" when it's said from one person to another shows more of a personal opinion whereas "for a long time" would fit most general opinions. In cases like this, such works similar to tan and -ísimo showing emphasis and general personal opinion.

5. SevenDays Senior Member

Spanish
    The meaning is the same, but you lose expressiveness/emotion if you omit "such," given that in this context "such" means "a long time" in a "high or highest degree." Now, you can omit "such" because the word is a modifier in a noun phrase, and the noun phrase ("a long time") still functions as the object of the preposition "for." In other words, "such" is optional syntactically, but semantically, it plays an important expressive role.