for the blessing of reporting

< Previous | Next >

chong lee

türkçe
Hi,
The quote is from the story "Bertie's Christmas Eve" by H. H. Munro.

I understand Luke is not fond of Bertie. However I did not understand exactly "...for the blessing of reporting a united family had no reference to Bertie's return".

I think, Luke does not count Bertie as a family member -- "...a united family had no reference to Bertie's return".

I did not get "for the blessing of reporting" part.

Could you explain it ; thanks.

Bertie Steffink, nephew of the aforementioned Luke, had early in life adopted the profession of ne'er-do-weel; his father had been something of the kind before him. At the age of eighteen Bertie had commenced that round of visits to our Colonial possessions, so seemly and desirable in the case of a Prince of the Blood, so suggestive of insincerity in a young man of the middle-class.
[...]
Luke Steffink, who fulfilled the troubled role of guardian and deputy-parent to Bertie, deplored the persistent manifestation of the homing instinct on his nephew's part, and his solemn thanks earlier in the day for the blessing of reporting a united family had no reference to Bertie's return.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Luke Steffink, who fulfilled the troubled role of guardian and deputy-parent to Bertie, deplored the persistent manifestation of the homing instinct on his nephew's part, and his solemn thanks earlier in the day for the blessing of reporting a united family had no reference to Bertie's return. = Luke Steffink, who looked after Bertie (but found the job very stressful), deplored the fact that Bertie kept returning home, and when, earlier in the day, Luke had been grateful to be able to say that the whole family had all arrived, this gratitude did not include or refer the fact that Bertie had returned home because Luke was not very pleased that Bertie was back.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I'm not sure, and neither is Keith, if it is a reference to his morning prayers giving thanks to God that his family is reunited for Christmas. I don't know why 'Saki' uses 'report'.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    What is "reporting" here --talking to God?
    No, it is nothing to do with prayers. This use of blessing usually means relief - Saki rarely makes mention of God, and when he does he makes jokes.

"the blessing of reporting a united family" = the simple relief of being able to say that the whole family had all arrived,

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >