For the longest time

< Previous | Next >

photodp

America, english
Ciao e tutti!

I have been trying to figure out how to translate, "For the longest time..." but I am not doing so well. I have lost my dictionary and my notes aren't good enough. How would I say this in Italian?

Grazie!

• giovannino

Italian, Neapolitan
    Do you mean "for the longest time" as in I had been waiting for an opportunity like this for the longest time (= for a very long time) or as in which song has been at number one for the longest time?

I guess you probably mean the former, in which case you could say (per) moltissino/tantissimo tempo although it would be better if you provided the sentence you're thinking of using it in.
    In the latter example it would be più a lungo.

photodp

America, english
    The actual context I intended it to be used in is this, "For the longest time I believed I did not deserve you. I see now that I do not, I deserve better."

I just didn't want to say the whole thing so I could try to do it myself first :)

Is the "per" required in this sentence or is it understood/implied?

photodp

America, english
    Okay, this is what I have come up with.

Per tanto tempo, io credivo non maritavi. Io vedo ora quello ci non, io marito molto.
    For the longest time, I believed I deserved you. I see now that I don't, I deserve better.

How is that?

< Previous | Next >