for the month through November 29

< Previous | Next >

LQZ

Mandarin
Sales for the month through November 29 rose 13 percent to $13.5 billion, comScore said. New York Times (subscription, free)

Dear all,

I have trouble understanding the part in red. Could you please tell me whether "for the month through November 29" is saying the period of 30 or 31 days from October 30 to november 29? Thanks.

LQZ

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    'Through' in AmE means 'until'. 'The month' refers to November. It means sales figures for the period from 1st till 29th November.

pops91710

English, AE
    'Through' in AmE means 'until'. 'The month' refers to November. It means sales figures for the period from 1st till 29th November.
    Well, Yes, but I think it is poorly written, in my opinion. I would never say it this way. I think it should have said Sales in the month of November through the 29th rose......

Thomas Veil

English - USA
    To be clear, "through" in this context means "until".

Well, Yes, but I think it is poorly written, in my opinion. I would never say it this way. I think it should have said Sales in the month of November through the 29th rose......
    Even better would be "up to" or "as of" instead of "through".

Even better would be "up to" or "as of" instead of "through". .
    I agree with "as of," but "up to November 29," in my mind, would definitely include November 1-November 28 but might not or might not include November 29. It's ambiguous.

I'm not sure what your objection to "through" is, but to me it's clear that "through November 29" means "up to and including November 29."

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    In BrE, 'through to' is also used, and this means that the numbers or dates are inclusive. Would 'through to November 29' be possible in AmE?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I would find "through to November 29" slightly ambiguous. I wouldn't be certain whether November 29 was included. To might mean up to, but not including, November 29.

If you said "through November 29" I would assume that November 29 was included.

< Previous | Next >