for the sake of Somebody/something

sirtiendung

vietnamese
Hi there!
I could not understand the sentence of "for the sake of simplicity, only a single value was analysed" cited in an academic writing document. In addition, in a movie, another sentence like "for your sake I hope you are telling the truth" does not make sense to me.
Can someone here help me to understand it fully. Thank you in advance
Best regards

• Loob

English UK
    Hi sirtiendung

Does the WR dictionary definition of "sake" not help?:)
    1 (for the sake of something) for the purpose of or in the interest of something; in order to achieve or preserve something.
    ■ (for its own sake or something for something's sake or for the sake of it) indicating something that is done as an end in itself rather than to achieve some other purpose.
    ■ (for old times' sake) in acknowledgement of a shared past.
    2 (for the sake of someone) out of consideration for or in order to help someone.
    3 (for God's or goodness etc. sake) expressing impatience, annoyance, urgency, or desperation.

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    "For the sake" is used for many various purposes:

For the sake of simplicity - means "in order to not complicate something".

sirtiendung

vietnamese
    Dear Loob and Morzh
    I actually have a dictionary but its examples don't make any sense to me. Thus, I hope to have explanations by other examples here or an explanation for those sentenses which I asked in order to clearly understand this phrase.
    Thank very much both you guys for your kind help
    Best regards

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    What do you want us to do exactly? If you simply want more examples, you can go and Google "sake".
    Here, let me do it for you:

For the sake of kindness. - He did it for the sake of kindness, without expecting any compensation.
    For the sake of science. - The doctor tested new medicine on himself for the sake of science.
    For the sake of argument (this is an idiom) - Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that he can actually do it. - Meaning: he cannot do it, but let us for a second assume he can.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Does the dictionary definition not help? In most cases, 'for the sake of' means 'in the interest of'.

For the sake of simplicity means in the interest of simplicity
    for your own sake means in your own interest or for your own good

sirtiendung

vietnamese
    @Morzh Thank you very much for your more examples.
    It seems to me that the phrase of " for the sake of something" lightly like " for the purposes of something"; like for instance, for the sake of science/kindness .... May I understand like this in order to sense easier

sirtiendung

vietnamese
    Hi Natkretep,
    Thank you for your simplify the phrase. I might be clear about the phrase of " for the sake of" and "for your won sake"
    Best ragards

< Previous | Next >