for the sake of

QuangHai

Viet
"He was lying on the ground in the shade of the kitchen, with no expression whatever in his face, with blue lips and fingers, dead-cold. It was like having shot an Elephant: by an act of yours a mighty and majestic creature, which has walked the earth, and held his own opinions of everything, is walking it no more. He looked degraded as well, for the Kikuyu had poured water over him, and had taken off him his big cloak of monkey-skin. Naked he was like an animal when you have cut from it the trophy, for the sake of which you have killed it."
(Quoted from Out of Africa by I. Dinensen)
Although knew all words, I do not quite understand the meaning of last sentence. Please someone help me out. Thanks.

• Barque

Tamil
    Naked (in his naked state), he was like an animal from whose body you have cut off a "trophy" (perhaps its head or skin), that trophy being the reason that you killed it.

QuangHai

Viet
    Thanks Barque but I am still not quite sure what the author tried to say. Does it mean: In the naked state, he looks so useless/unworthiness?

Barque

Tamil
    I think the writer means that in his dead, naked state, he looked not much more than an animal hunted down for a trophy. He didn't look like he had been a human.

< Previous | Next >