for this sensation

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
Tabloids cleared their front pages for this sensation, only to be overtaken by yet another drama, the death of Anna Nicole Smith in Florida.

The line in bold doesn't make sense to me; I would rephrase it this way: Tabloids cleared this sensation from their front pages. Does my version make sense to you? Why does the original version write it that way? Does it make sense to you? Thanks.

• difficult cuss

English England
    It means that the tabloids removed their front page stories to place something else there, but then came something else (Anna Nicole Smith story). It is not what you have written.

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, dc.
    Do you mean this sensation here refers to another drama, the death of Anna? If so, the line in bold makes sense to me.
    But, based on the context, I presume this sensation refers to the case of the lovesick astronaut.

difficult cuss

English England
    It does NOT refer to the death of Anna, it refers to something not mentioned in your question (part 1)....perhaps "The lovesick astronaut?" as you suggest (in part 2).

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, dc.
    If this sensation doesn't refer to the death of drama, then how could I interpret the line in bold?
    I get it! After I thought it over and read the line in bold again, I'm suddenly enlightened.

< Previous | Next >