for vs. because of

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
Greetings,
I was watching the movie Triple frontier. In a scene this sentence was said:
He didn't die FOR that money, he died BECAUSE OF it.

What is the difference between for and because? Don't they both show the reason of something?

• KHS

If, say, you die for a religious belief, it means that you have chosen to give your life to uphold that belief.

If you get killed because you have certain religious beliefs, you didn't make a conscious decision to die to support your beliefs, it just happened (maybe you were calmly praying, without any knowledge of danger, and some crazy person comes in and kills people in the place of worship).

I hope this somewhat different example helps you understand.

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    excellent explanation. Thanks.

Die for something also can mean "like/love someone or something very much". Right? although it has nothing to do with the sentence taken from the movie. Just for my knowledge.

KHS

Die for something also can mean "like/love someone or something very much". Right? although it has nothing to do with the sentence taken from the movie. Just for my knowledge.
    I'd change your idea just a little This use is usually in progressive, indicating that you really really want something right at that time. "I'm dying for a drink of water."

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    Oh, so can it not be used for referring to the future? like:
    A: I want a big house,
    B: Oh, man, I die for a big house/I will die for it.

< Previous | Next >