For what reason...?

< Previous | Next >

zapzap

Italian
Hi everybody,
I'm not sure about the tenses that should be used in the following sentence: is 'had' ok?

Considering the above together with the higher – nearly surgical – precision of the new 14-inch gun compared to the 15-inch, for what reason would the Royal Navy continue to achieve ordnance with increasingly smaller dispersion had this feature not been useful or at least desirable for tactical employment?

I also used the expression 'this feature' referred to 'lower dispersion', but I'm not totally happy with that. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Barque

Tamil
    I don't see anything wrong with "had" (which means "if" in that sentence) or the word "feature" used for smaller (lower?) dispersion.

But I haven't understood the use of "achieve". Do you mean "use" or "purchase"? I'm also not sure "dispersion" is the word you want. Do you mean "calibre"?

Last edited:

zapzap

Italian
    Actually, the word achieve is better replaced by 'procure' as 'procurement' is the activity of purchasing new material for defense. Dispersion means that the rounds fired from a battery of guns fall onto the ground/sea dispersed in a bigger or smaller area that - hopefully - includes the target.

Barque

Tamil
    Dispersion means that the rounds fired from a battery of guns fall onto the ground/sea dispersed in a bigger or smaller area that - hopefully - includes the target.
    I see. Thanks. I associated that with shotguns but I suppose it could apply to a battery of guns on a ship too.

< Previous | Next >