for what we could call these bourgeois defects

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
Roberto Castaneda, a photographer and dancer, had travelled "behind the Iron Curtain and is a sincere admirer of all that but won't enter the Party. He lacks theoretical knowledge of Marxism, and maybe he wouldn't be a good militant for what we could call these bourgeois defects [...]
(Jon Lee Anderson; Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life)

Should I read it as follows:

'for what we could call these defects (probably being a photographer and dancer, lacking theoretical knowledge of Marxism) bourgeois defects'.

Thanks.

• Loob

English UK
    Here's a clearer translation, Suprun:
    He has travelled behind the Iron Curtain and is a sincere admirer of everything there although he hasn't joined the Party. He lacks knowledge of Marxist theory, and perhaps would not be a good militant because of those, let's say, bourgeois defects.
    Source: Back on the Road by Che Guevara, English translation by Patrick Camiller.

ewie

English English
    Ermmmm ............. so what are the bourgeois defects?:confused: Or does he mean that bourgeois defect [i.e. 'lack of knowledge of Marxist theory']?

Loob

English UK
    Ah, I thought Suprun was asking about the meaning of the phrase "for what we could call these bourgeois defects" - all I was trying to say was that "for" is yet another mistranslation....

As to what the defects actually were, I agree it's not very clear. The text I found had this before the part I quoted: He strikes me as a person with an artistic temperament, clear-sighted intelligence, and a desire to be perfect in everything he does. Maybe those would count as bourgeois defects?:cool:

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >