" force a fit" in business

Noriko Tan

Arabic
Hi everybody!
In business, if a business owner is trying to force a fit, what is this supposed to mean?
Thank you in advance :)

• Noriko Tan

Arabic
    Hi Barque. Here's the sentence:
    "my own hesitance to spot poor fits and wait too long has resulted in: My own productivity dropping because I was preoccupied with trying to force a fit where there was none".

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    The context is deciding, in a business environment, whether to fire an employee who is a poor fit in the organization. Here's the full quote:

In the meantime, my own hesitance to spot poor fits and wait too long has resulted in:
    • Our team taking longer to hit milestones that we should have because we weren’t collaborating as well as we could have.
    • Our growth slowing because unhappy employees weren’t working at optimal productivity.
    • My own productivity dropping because I was preoccupied with trying to force a fit where there was none.
    Source: "Firing: How I Do the Hardest THing as an Entrepreneur," by Alex Turnbull, on groovehq.com

Barque

Tamil
    It's in the context of firing employees.

He means to say that even if an employee didn't fit in well (wasn't suitable for a particular position), he would try to change things around in an effort to make that employee suit the role, instead of hiring someone else who was more suitable. He tried to force a fit to happen even in situations where it was not possible.

Noriko Tan

Arabic
    So the "fit" is a suitable employee, and when trying to force a fit means he doesn't want to fire that "unsuitable employee"
    I had hard times trying to understand it :confused: because I'm not native English speaker.
    Thanks both of you Barque & Florentia :)

< Previous | Next >