Force their way into the flat/ Stormed or Swarmed?

sambistapt

Brazilian Portuguese
Hello amigos!

The Police forced their way into the flat/ Stormed into the flat/Swarmed the flat to catch the criminals.

Which one Shall I use in the case above? All of them?

Thanks;

Sam ;)

• waltern

English - USA
    I think they can all work, depending on the point you want to emphasize:

"forced their way into the flat" - there was some resistance (locked door, etc.) but they overcame it

"stormed into the flat" - they arrived forcefully/decisively

"swarmed the flat" - a large number of police were involved in the process of entering/surrounding the flat, as a swarm of bees

sdgraham

USA English
    I would not use "swarmed the flat," unless you mean that police entered every opening around the flat, which is rather difficult if the flat is not on the ground floor.

Tactically speaking, I doubt that police actually would do that since it puts every one of the in the line of fire.

If you're ever seen a swarm of bees, you will understand.

waltern

English - USA
    I don't know of any defintion of "swarm" that means "to enter every opening" - do you have a cite? - I'm thinking of this one as found in the WR dictionary:

2. to congregate, move about or proceed in large numbers

sdgraham

USA English
    A flat has one or two doors. How are you going to get "those large numbers" through one or two doors? You simply cannot "congregate, move about or proceed in large numbers" in that kind of environment, i.e. through one or two normal doors, particularly if there are passageways and stairwells involved.

As I said above: "
    If you're ever seen a swarm of bees, you will understand."

Dictionaries are wonderful things, but they do not and cannot mindlessly trump the context.

< Previous | Next >