foreign aid = overseas assistance ?

Alirezap

Persian
is it right to say "overseas assistance" as a synonym for "foreign aid" ?

the phrase is: "The reading states that overseas assistance will lead to economic growth."

Last edited:
  • Alirezap

Persian
    Could you please give us the full sentence in which you want to use that term?
    Of course, I added it to the first post. :)

the phrase is: "The reading states that overseas assistance will lead to economic growth."

Last edited:

Barque

Tamil
    I don't have the surrounding context of course but if the context makes it clear that it means "foreign aid", then yes, you could use it.

"Foreign aid" is however a commonly used and understood term, and it would probably be understood more easily than "overseas assistance".

Andygc

British English
    is it right to say "overseas assistance" as a synonym for "foreign aid" ?
    You have provided inadequate context and background to have a yes/no answer. In any case, different English-speaking countries use the terms differently. "Foreign aid" in BE normally refers to money used to help other countries. "Overseas development assistance" is a term used by the British Government when discussing assistance that may involve the deployment of personnel and resourcesas with or without direct financial aid. It doesn't include disaster relief, whereas the foreign aid budget does provide funds for such contingencies.

Alirezap

Persian
    thank you for your thorough answers. yes the "foreign aid" is more common and I have used it frequently in my writing. However, I was seeking for a replace in order not to repeat it a lot. I have rarely used "international support" and as you have confirmed "overseas assistance" .

Packard

USA, English
    "Assistance" could include a military presence.

"Aid" does not seem to include that.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the U.S. foreign assistance budget

But it would be wrong to think that “security assistance” comes entirely from the DoD. Security assistance is a broader term than so-called military aid because this financial support is often extended to other types of security forces such as anti-narcotic or trafficking units.

It goes on to say that "financial aid" is offered to purchase more military equipment.

< Previous | Next >