Foreign culture in your country

Miguelillo 87

México español
I wonder, In your country in general (you also can answer form a personla point of view) which one it's the foreign culture persons are interest the most?

For example Mexican people has a "crunch" on, French culture, They love the way they talk, their cities, their glamour, I mean evern we have a frenc neighbourhood in the capital (Zona Rosa) and in past decades a lot of buildings where design in Frenc h style as a matter of fact Mexico city it's one of the mosst "French" cities in Latinamerica.

Also nowadays with the wave of inmigartion of Japanese, Chineses and Coreans.
A lot of people are gettin' involved in this oreintal cultures, Maybe the Manga and the animaei are involved here. I mean I think that in Mexico in every neighborhoos are more than two Chinese restaurants.

And also teh lovable Argentinians, Also a lot of Argentinians came in the last Argentinian crisis, and a lot of mexicans have welcomed them very well, because their accent, their beaury, The tango!!!
Y no es cierto que aunque "los odiemos" por ser sencishitos y carismáticos, en verdad los adoramos, Che.

• Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    In the US, I think it's historically been either France or England, but in my lifetime, Italy has really shot through as the place to visit. People I know would rather go to Rome than to London or Paris. Then again, I know a lot of people who want to visit Tokyo, but that's just a growing minority. To many Americans, Italy is what is seen in Under the Tuscan Sun, and all their problems are things to be ignored in the daily headlines because a country with that much sun and that much good food cannot possibly have problems. Also, Italians (along with many other immigrant groups) have a significant part in America's history.

ronanpoirier

Brazil - Portuguese
    Oh, it's hard to speak of Brazil, since we have people here from everywhere!!! And that multiculturalism is amazing because we don't need to go very far to meet someone from another country, another culture.
    Well, I guess that is not answering your question.
    I'll try to think for the people I know. Europe is (and will always be) surely in the spotlight. Mainly places like France, Italy, England, Spain, Germany, Portugal, Switzerland, etc. Each one for its own reason. Culture, language, economical features, imigrants, etc. The USA is also well seen.
    I think there's no such thing as the "main country" for publicity here. The truth is we wanna know about everywhere. But of course we have our favorite (in my case, Canada... but Portugal, Hungary, Japan, Czech Republic and Argentina also have their part in my heart :)).
    One good thing about living here in Porto Alegre is the "Feira do Livro" (Book market) which is held here every year in this season of the year. There is always a country which is hilighted every year. So we know a little more about its culture through music, literature (obviously), beliefs, etc. This year the country is Japan.

Honestly, I don't what to add to this... I hope another Brazilian gives its opinion about it.

See ya _o/

rajel

Spanish, Mexico.
    I wonder, In your country in general (you also can answer form a personla point of view) which one it's the foreign culture persons are interest the most?

For example Mexican people has a "crunch" on, French culture, They love the way they talk, their cities, their glamour, I mean evern we have a frenc neighbourhood in the capital (Zona Rosa) and in past decades a lot of buildings where design in Frenc h style as a matter of fact Mexico city it's one of the mosst "French" cities in Latinamerica.

Also nowadays with the wave of inmigartion of Japanese, Chineses and Coreans.
    A lot of people are gettin' involved in this oreintal cultures, Maybe the Manga and the animaei are involved here. I mean I think that in Mexico in every neighborhoos are more than two Chinese restaurants.

And also teh lovable Argentinians, Also a lot of Argentinians came in the last Argentinian crisis, and a lot of mexicans have welcomed them very well, because their accent, their beaury, The tango!!!
    Y no es cierto que aunque "los odiemos" por ser sencishitos y carismáticos, en verdad los adoramos, Che.
    Hey! I don't know if there is another mexico I don't know of! in the one I know mexicans don't know as many French actors or singers or groups as they do american, we have always had a very strong influence from the US that is talking about music, clothes, television, fashion,movies, customs, the life style and lots of expressions derived from English are used in all kinds of work environments everyday and I would ask, do we know or use any expressions or vocabulary from french? I think not. it is obvious that you are giving your very personal opinion, I don't hate Argentinians but I wouldn't say we all love them, and for chinese restaurants in every neighborhood that is way too many than in the reality. I just say all this in order to give some balance, I mean! Keep it real!!!

invictaspirit

English English
    England, and above all London, is so multicultural that it sometimes appears that the entire world has crashed into our country (in a nice way!).

There are a lot of influences. Despite UK reticence over the institutions and mechanisms of the EU, other European influences are very visible here. Most of all, probably French language, culture, food and cinema. We are fond of Parisian 'cool' and Paris remains a prime weekend destination. There are also about 300,000 French citizens living here now...mainly in London and the south east. Spanish and Italian cultural influences are also there. Not a great deal from the rest of Europe, with the honourable exception of Greece/Cyprus. There are still hellenophiles here in the academic sphere, and a large Greek Cypriot community makes its mark all over the UK.

I would say American culture is also a major influence, mainly through TV and movies. There is a large community of US citizens in the UK, but they tend to blend in with the rest of us rather than forming visible communities. We have a complicated love-hate relationship with American culture, loving some of it to death and copying it slavishly, deriding other examples as silly, cheap, plastic. 'Only in America...' is both a term of reverent admiration and eye-rolling abuse here.

Most Brits don't realise it but a lot of Australia has rubbed off on us in recent years. Some ways of speaking and expressions, a huge explosion in the popularity of surfing...

Ireland is ever-present as a very influential culture.

More recently, new cultures have been seen as 'cool'. Above all, I think, India and Bollywood. We have always loved our curry, but are now quite interested in Indian music and film and literature. Brazil remains our favourite Latin American culture with its samba and football and beach-life. Still with South America, no British town is without a salsa school. You can learn salsa (sometimes very well, sometimes embarrassingly badly!) just about anywhere here.

Now we have a brand new community of half a million Poles, I am very much hoping we get some Polish influences.

PS I don't know Mexico very well and have only been there twice. But I am surprised to hear that France/'Frenchness' is cool there. I didn't notice anything even slightly French about Mexico (capital or elsewhere). You can't gauge a nation from two visits, I realise, but the overwhelming cultures/influences in Mexico I noiced, as a European outsider, were Mexican and US of A.

Miguelillo 87

México español
    Hey! I don't know if there is another mexico I don't know of! in the one I know mexicans don't know as many French actors or singers or groups as they do american, we have always had a very strong influence from the US that is talking about music, clothes, television, fashion,movies, customs, the life style and lots of expressions derived from English are used in all kinds of work environments everyday and I would ask, do we know or use any expressions or vocabulary from french? I think not. it is obvious that you are giving your very personal opinion, I don't hate Argentinians but I wouldn't say we all love them, and for chinese restaurants in every neighborhood that is way too many than in the reality. I just say all this in order to give some balance, I mean! Keep it real!!!
    I mean I know US it's the first one, but I mean as a lot of the countries will say that I tried to avoid to say US, yes you're right obviously it's USA the one who rules in fashion,music,fast foss, etc, But I mean in a CULTURAL way, not in a commercialcultural way, I mean In downtown I cannot see a lot of US architetonical style, I saw french one, About the chines, I'm not xagereting in DF you can see a lot of oriental bussines, Have oyu go to Zona rosa recently? If oyu haven't, Go and see around and oyu'll se what I'm talknig about.
    The argentinian ones, MMH Yes that's a personal one!!!!

Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    I mean I know US it's the first one, but I mean as a lot of the countries will say that I tried to avoid to say US, yes you're right obviously it's USA the one who rules in fashion,music,fast foss, etc, But I mean in a CULTURAL way, not in a commercialcultural way, I mean In downtown I cannot see a lot of US architetonical style, I saw french one, About the chines, I'm not xagereting in DF you can see a lot of oriental bussines, Have oyu go to Zona rosa recently? If oyu haven't, Go and see around and oyu'll se what I'm talknig about.
    Aren't the vast majority of cultural influences these days commercial? I think the best American music never gets over the border, and you guys are subjected to our pop. We have architects who have inspired building designs the world over, and many, many other things. However, I think it is only in some things that we are "dominant." We certainly don't hold the monopoly on scientific successes, though we aren't sluggish. We aren't the best auto-builders in the world (some people might disagree, but they can have their Fords). We don't have the best food, but I think we (New York) might have the best chefs in the world. In many ways, the US is just like every other capitalist country, but we have just been a bit richer over an extended period of time as a result of being the first to start the race, not necessarily being "the best" at it. I mean, everything I listed is just my opinion, it hasn't the first foundation in empirical fact.

However, if I had to talk about manufacturing and industrial culture, Germany might take the cake.

Словеса

Русский
    Exactly the same in Russia.:)
    Maybe, I don't know, but still we know nothing of USA, and they are more like people from jokes and stories than real people for us, probably. I think that we are self-centered, with occasional people liking this or that country.

irinet

Romanian
    Italy is by far one of the most beautiful countries in the whole world! I have never visited Rome but I felt instantly in love with Italy and its nicest and extremely polite people when travelling to Milan, Venice and Florence. I also felt marvellous when sunbathing on the Adriatica Seaside beaches. A similar feeling I had when visiting Edinburgh and London. I think I will never be curious to see France though we used to learn French a lot in school. My friends seem very attached to Italy and Spain because most of them got good jobs there and still have a better living than in their own country. When I visited Cyprus I have also met a lot of Romanians working and being very happy there, and why wouldn't they be so smiling in such a wonderful island with so warming people, too?! It seems that we love smiling, welcoming faces rather serious and smart ones!
    For me, I think that I'll have a crush on Ireland if I ever be able to get my family on a consensus to visit the country I am dreaming about for some time.
    It seems that the neighbour we love most is Turkey. Our girls marry T urkish men, we enjoy eating Turkish food, esp. 'shaorma' /kebab', they have travel and food businesses and few churches in our country.

Last edited:

Radioh

Vietnamese
    Chinese culture influenced our culture very much, but not sure if people interest in it the most. Personally, I really like Japanese culture (I'm planning to learn Japanese in future).

LiseR

Latvian
    Historically, our country was highly influenced by Russia (I will try not to comment, whether this is good or bad). Also, Germany and Sweden had a big influence here. Lately, and I guess that this happens in many countries, many people have "a crush" on the U.S. and U.K. (many Latvians live/work/study in U.K.).
    Personally, I have always had a crush on Finland and Japan. Lately, I love Southern, exotic countries.

funnyhat

American English
    In the US, I think it's historically been either France or England, but in my lifetime, Italy has really shot through as the place to visit. People I know would rather go to Rome than to London or Paris. Then again, I know a lot of people who want to visit Tokyo, but that's just a growing minority. To many Americans, Italy is what is seen in Under the Tuscan Sun, and all their problems are things to be ignored in the daily headlines because a country with that much sun and that much good food cannot possibly have problems. Also, Italians (along with many other immigrant groups) have a significant part in America's history.
    Italy is definitely near the top, but I think Paris is still the biggest "dream destination" for Americans. London is very popular, but in a different way. London gets the reputation of being "fun" while Paris is "beautiful" and "romantic." Italy carries these same connotations, but I feel like it's still slightly behind France in perception (though still very popular).

Last edited:

Stoggler

UK English
    Well, for some reason, Poles are quite attracted to the UK. Maybe because it's as westwards as possible. ;)
    May I ask Bartek, why is the UK popular with Poles? Is it because it's an English-speaking country? Or are there other reasons that have attracted so many Poles? Are other countries in the EU popular destinations for Poles? Germany for example?

Pedro y La Torre

English (Ireland)
    May I ask Bartek, why is the UK popular with Poles? Is it because it's an English-speaking country? Or are there other reasons that have attracted so many Poles? Are other countries in the EU popular destinations for Poles? Germany for example?
    They are also, by far, the biggest immigrant group in Ireland.

Encolpius

Hungarian
    The USA? The USA culture? What do you mean? Czechs love country music, that's part of the USA culture. USA pop Music? USA movies? Is that not forced by propaganda? USA literature? Not much interested, I doubt it a 18-year old could say a famous USA writer or poet, but they could know: Pushkin, Goethe, Shakespeare, Dostoyevskiy. American architecture? Not interested. American theatre, ballet? Not interested.

ger4

German
    (Even though I'm not Bartek...) One possible explanation could be the fact that in 2004, when Poland joined the EU, the UK opened its labour market to Polish employees immediately. Germany and many other EU countries had some restrictions.
    Migrations from Poland since EU accession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

merquiades

English (USA Northeast)
    This study in the Economist is interesting. It reveals that most Europeans have a negative perception of life in Poland, more than it actually really is, whereas Poles in general view life in western Europe as better than in Poland, and better than it really is too.
    This leads to many Poles migrating to Western Europe, and Poland having virtually no other Europeans living there.

Sepia

High German/Danish
    If there were a lot of what you call "US architectural style" in your downtown area by which charecteristics would you recognize it? I mean, you don't have a downtown area that is dominated by one single style of architecture because all buildings will have been built at totally differernt times in history, funded by totally different organisations. So all there is, are maybe just different regulations about what you may or may not build, or certain socio-economic factors that may make it more or also less attractive to build sky-scrapers or rather smaller buildings.

And what difference is there between "cultural" and "commercialcultural"? To tell the truth, it is nonsense, since one is part of the other.

Sepia

High German/Danish
    The USA? The USA culture? What do you mean? Czechs love country music, that's part of the USA culture. USA pop Music? USA movies? Is that not forced by propaganda? USA literature? Not much interested, I doubt it a 18-year old could say a famous USA writer or poet, but they could know: Pushkin, Goethe, Shakespeare, Dostoyevskiy. American architecture? Not interested. American theatre, ballet? Not interested.
    You really believe they would never have heard of Ernest Hemingway?

merquiades

English (USA Northeast)
    I'm also surprised that American architect Frank Gehry wouldn't be recognized. He is the architect for the Bilbao Guggenheim Museum, among other famous edifices.
    Yes, very famous, but I don't think he would be recognized by people who are not from that milieu or interested. But an author like Dan Brown, Donna Leone etc. would be. You go into any bookshop and you see their books on display.

JamesM

I mean I know US it's the first one, but I mean as a lot of the countries will say that I tried to avoid to say US, yes you're right obviously it's USA the one who rules in fashion,music,fast foss, etc, But I mean in a CULTURAL way, not in a commercialcultural way, I mean In downtown I cannot see a lot of US architetonical style, I saw french one!
    The suburb of El Pedregal in Mexico City is heavily influenced by the American architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Specifically, it was influenced by his Falling Water house:

Falling Water
    fallingwater.jpg

House in El Pedregal

ElPedregal.jpg

Sepia

High German/Danish
    The suburb of El Pedregal in Mexico City is heavily influenced by the American architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Specifically, it was influenced by his Falling Water house:

Falling Water
    View attachment 18407

House in El Pedregal

View attachment 18408

This is wonderfull, but does it make it "American architecture" just because this particular Architect is from the USA. Even so, there is nothing particularly American about the style of it. It has a bit of Le Corbuisier, a bit of Bauhaus and a whole lot of Frank Lloyd Wright, and a good deal of the guts of a rich Mexican who dared have it transferred from the drawing desk to real life.

JamesM

But the same could be said of the French quarter in Mexico City. I was simply saying that if you say that there is French(-influenced) architecture in Mexico City but no American(-influenced) architecture, it's not an accurate statement. That's what Miguelillo87 said.

And I would argue that a Frank Lloyd Wright building is a quintessential example of American architecture and the architect who designed the houses in El Pedregal himself said that he was heavily influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright.

Last edited:

Sepia

High German/Danish
    Does it look French - and if it does, let me guess: It looks like something out of a certain era of French history, right. Like the way everybody built houses there at that time. And then some immigrants came and didn't know any other way to build houses.

But what makes FLW such a "quintessential example of American architecture" in your eyes? I cannot remember having seen anything like his houses anywhere, neither in pictures from America nor elsewhere, except when it was something he designed. Neither the style or the materials he used. OK, materials - maybe some of the famous "desert houses" (mostly built on the outskirts of L.A.) that Julius Shulman made photographs of. However, at least one of them IS by Frank Lloyd Wright.

So IS it American style architecture or is it Frank Lloyd Wright style architecture? It is obvious to me that part of what he developed his style on, are the principles of from the Bauhaus - which I would not call typical German style architecture or design either, although the idea emerged in Germany (... and was more or less kicked out ouf Germany for a while). The largest conglomeration of high end Bauhaus architecture in the world is in fact - surprise, surprise - in South Africa.

Sepia

High German/Danish
    Yes, very famous, but I don't think he would be recognized by people who are not from that milieu or interested. But an author like Dan Brown, Donna Leone etc. would be. You go into any bookshop and you see their books on display.
    I'm also surprised that American architect Frank Gehry wouldn't be recognized. He is the architect for the Bilbao Guggenheim Museum, among other famous edifices.
    At least he got his tribute in The Simpsons. Not every architect does that.

JamesM

Does it look French - and if it does, let me guess: It looks like something out of a certain era of French history, right. Like the way everybody built houses there at that time. And then some immigrants came and didn't know any other way to build houses.
    I don't know a great deal about the district, but from what I understand it was a sort of fad in the late 19th century to build "in the French style", really in the Hausmann Paris style. It wasn't built by French immigrants.

But what makes FLW such a "quintessential example of American architecture" in your eyes? I cannot remember having seen anything like his houses anywhere, neither in pictures from America nor elsewhere, except when it was something he designed. Neither the style or the materials he used. OK, materials - maybe some of the famous "desert houses" (mostly built on the outskirts of L.A.) that Julius Shulman made photographs of. However, at least one of them IS by Frank Lloyd Wright.

So IS it American style architecture or is it Frank Lloyd Wright style architecture? It is obvious to me that part of what he developed his style on, are the principles of from the Bauhaus - which I would not call typical German style architecture or design either, although the idea emerged in Germany (... and was more or less kicked out ouf Germany for a while). The largest conglomeration of high end Bauhaus architecture in the world is in fact - surprise, surprise - in South Africa.
    I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. Do you think American architecture means "homes built by Americans in some American folk style"? If so, no, Frank Lloyd Wright doesn't apply. I guess you'd have to go with something like an Arts and Crafts/Mission style from late 19th / early 20th century.

But if you're talking about an architect who influenced the design of high-end custom homes and modern skyscrapers for decades, I'd say yes, he's quintessentially American. Mid-century Modernist homes were definitely influenced by Frank Lloyd Wright. The low flat roof and wide expanses of glass mixed with natural textures like wood and rock are very much a Frank Lloyd Wright thing. The Prairie School influenced tens of thousands of homes and changed the way that custom homes were built. It is often called the first truly American form of architecture. They incorporated more of the outdoors indoors. You can even see it in the designs of Hollywood sets from the 1940s and 1950s.

Look at homes like these:

Stellar Frank Lloyd Wright-Inspired Michigan Home Asks $300K

The Price of a Frank Lloyd Wright-Inspired Abode Revealed

A Coastal Getaway in Maine Inspired by Camping and Frank Lloyd Wright

And we have iconic American structures from him:

Guggenheim Museum, New York

Marin County Courthouse

Last edited:

merquiades

English (USA Northeast)
    Victorian homes are what I consider to be "typical", "quintessential" American houses, and whenever I think of small towns in America they inevitably have this architecture or a watered down form of it: several floors, wide windows, porches and or verandas, maybe turrets, bright colors.
    However, though theses houses are common in the Northeast, I bet you can hardly find them in the Western half of the country. At any rate, this type of architecture was certainly imported from Europe so I don't know how authentically American they are. In Texas and the Southwest, ranch style Spanish looking architecture is much more typical in my opinion.

Sepia

High German/Danish

I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. Do you think American architecture means "homes built by Americans in some American folk style"? If so, no, Frank Lloyd Wright doesn't apply. I guess you'd have to go with something like an Arts and Crafts/Mission style from late 19th / early 20th century.

But if you're talking about an architect who influenced the design of high-end custom homes and modern skyscrapers for decades, I'd say yes, he's quintessentially American. ..
    Yes, I think that would apply. However, I read somewhere that 90% of the US population would not want to own a FLW designed home, even if they could afford it. I really think it is very difficult to identify single architects as being forerunners of styles that you connect with a certain nationality. If you can say that lots of other interiour designers and architects in a certain area were copying the style, it is a different story.

Look at someone like Robert Jacobsen - there are lots of designs similar to his two famous chairs. From copies to almost-copies to similar style. Lots of them even coming from IKEA. Sure, that is known at least as Scandinavian design. Hardly anyone connects it with Denmark only.
    But what about the SAS-Hotel in Copenhagen. It is unique, it is totally his style - probably more on the inside than the outside - but does anyone think of that as particularly Danish. No way. It is a sky-scraper that might as well have been built in Paris or Cairo at the time.

JamesM

Yes, I think that would apply. However, I read somewhere that 90% of the US population would not want to own a FLW designed home, even if they could afford it. I really think it is very difficult to identify single architects as being forerunners of styles that you connect with a certain nationality. If you can say that lots of other interiour designers and architects in a certain area were copying the style, it is a different story.
    That's exactly what I was saying. :) If you look at the links I provided you will see they are "Frank Lloyd Wright inspired designs". The Prairie Style became very popular for decades, and most of them were not designed by FLW.

Here's a link to a site that describes fifteen of the most popular architectural styles for houses in the United States. Prairie Style is one of them.

Top 15 House Designs and Architectural Styles to Ignite your Imagination — 24 Hour Site Plans for Homes, Pools, Sheds, Garages & More!

A quote from that article:

Prairie Style, of which Frank Lloyd Wright is the most visible and famous proponent, is considered the first truly American style of architecture

Last edited:

Copperknickers

Scotland - Scots and English
    In Scotland, definitely the USA. Scotland is much more Americanised than England in my opinion. There are people in Scotland who almost sound like they have American accents. Especially people from Aberdeen, I frequently confuse Aberdonians with Americans (those with the smoother anglicised accent, not with the traditional rural Aberdeenshire accent which is not even really English :p). People here love American music: we don't really have 'Scottish singers', with the exception of the most recent generation of bands like the Proclaimers, the Fratellis etc. Until about 1990 we had singers like Rod Stewart, who I actually thought was American for several years despite the fact he's from near where I live. There was actually a Scottish band who travelled to America and pretended to be American, and achieved some small success: they fooled everyone there for a long time before they were found out. The reason being they decided nobody would take them seriously if they knew they were Scottish. And of course people in Glasgow get together several times a year and pretend we are all from Belfast.

Increasingly Scotland is becoming a little more 'European' in some ways (well, we have coffee shops with outdoor tables, rather ill-advised in a place where it is too cold and wet to sit outside for 10 months of the year) but we were never really considered part of European culture and, despite our overwhelming pro-EU stance, we still don't really feel anything in common with Italians or Germans or Greeks, notwithstanding our love of football which is one thing that will never be eroded by Americanisation.

Sepia

High German/Danish
    That's exactly what I was saying. :) If you look at the links I provided you will see they are "Frank Lloyd Wright inspired designs". The Prairie Style became very popular for decades, and most of them were not designed by FLW.

Here's a link to a site that describes fifteen of the most popular architectural styles for houses in the United States. Prairie Style is one of them.

Top 15 House Designs and Architectural Styles to Ignite your Imagination — 24 Hour Site Plans for Homes, Pools, Sheds, Garages & More!

A quote from that article:

Yes, I see what you mean. This is also the kind of houses I would recognize as probably North American wherever I would see them.

But they are certainly not the style of houses they had him design abroad.

Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    In Hungary there have been a lot of changes about favourite destinations, partly because you can travel really anywhere now and partly because a lot of people choose their destination chiefly with the intention of working abroad. (For that Germany + Austria as well as England are the favourites.)
    Less and less people can afford to travel abroad - so those who can, choose their destination almost exclusively acccording to what they can afford and not what really interest them. (So from the Adriatic coast through Turkey, Asia and the exotic islands in the Pacific, you'll find any destination.)

In spite of it all, I'd say that Paris, London and Italy (not only Rome) were the traditional "top" places to (wish to) visit. Nowadays, as if there were no "favourites" anymore. Anywhere - you can afford - will do.

Sepia

High German/Danish
    Not quite sure what you want to tell us with that ... Does that have any impact on the culture in Hungary because of cultural influence flowing back with the people who visit these countries? Like Scandinavians drinking more wine after they began flying to the Mediterranean on cheap charter flights.

Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Well, briefly (and what I am fairly sure about) that there used to be some favourite destinations (the 3 mentioned above) but now (after the political, economic changes in the country and their consequences on people's life, i.e. a greater poverty) people travel anywhere they can afford (not because of any particular interest necessarily).
    And some of those who leave the country, may do it only to be able to work for a "normal" (acceptable) salary (which can be 3 or 4 times more they would get here) - so they don't really "travel" for a holiday but to be able make a more or less "normal" living. (I mention them here only because most have the intention of coming back after a time, though not all.)

People travelling certainly has an impact on the culture (I would say it is always the case). People have become more enviroment conscious, more demanding about everything (housing, food, ideas, etc.), unfortunately though, meanwhile there is a demand for higher standards in everything, financial problems do not always allow the satisfaction of these (both on individual and social levels).

Doraemon-

"Spanish - Spain" "Catalan - Valencia"
    In Spain people are specially interested or would like to be as the north-western European countries: France, Germany, United Kingdom, Netherlands, Norway... (mainly the people who comes to Spain as tourists), although the most present country in the everyday life is obviously the US (music, films, tv shows...), but we're much less identified with them in culture or in politics than we are with other Europeans, and it's almost always to these countries where we travel or migrate the most.

Sepia

High German/Danish
    I know a hotel compound on the Baltic coast that looks a bit like it could be in Spain and it actually does belong to Iberostar.
    But it is really out of the ordinary.
    In which way does North European styles influence Spain.

For my part Mediterranean lifestyle has influenced me so far that I like to dine late, drink red wine without any special occasion, use a French press or a Bialetti for coffee making.

But the general population is slow to catch on - it isn't more than approx. the last 20 years that you can go and have cappucino almost everywhere in German cities. Something that has bee n commonplace in Copenhagen for at least 30-40 years.

What the FLW houses in the old American style is concerned - with shingles and everything: I heard a few days ago that they had tried to introduce them in Austria. They even imported wood from Canada for them. But there are only acouple of them left. They were never really popular.

Doraemon-

"Spanish - Spain" "Catalan - Valencia"
    Well, there's a strong local culture, and also influences from everywhere. Anywhere in Spain you'll find Belgian and Irish beers, German-style sausages and Dutch cheese, for exemple. There's a strong musical influence from England, and French supermarkets or Swedish style in decorating are also everywhere. But this is quite circumstantial: there are also Chinese restaurants and Turkish kebabs. I refer more to which countries are more commercially or politically related and observed, which ones we know the most personally and which ones are seen as a model for science, politics... I'm talking about the countries we're interested the most, not the ones which have influenced us the most (although in our history of course it's France). It's evident that the highest cultural presence nowadays comes from the US, as for any country in the world, but that's far from the highest interest here. There's much more news about what happens in Western Europe and Western Europe is much better known than any other part of the world, even the US. Most people will place any Western European country in the map and tell you something about it, which is not the case about where are the main cities or states in US, or in Eastern Europe, or even Central America, where they speak our same language.

Sepia

High German/Danish
    Swedish style? I hope you are not confusing IKEA with general Swedish style.

SaritaSarang

English - United States
    In the U.S, I supposed I speak for my area in the center of the country, Japanese styled things are popular. They are always coming out with the most interesting things! (owl cafes!!!)
    Hispanic culture, usually Mexican and Latin American, are often viewed either negatively or as someplace far away where you go with your church on a mission trip to " help the poor and preach the gospel". Or, as a luxurious vacation place with white sandy beaches. When I tell people I'm going to Mexico for vacation they immediately assume "Playa del Carmen" or " Cancun". They never think I could be referring to a city inland in some state they've never heard of. Around here there aren't a lot of people interested in the Hispanic culture for reasons other than that, and often women who marry Hispanic men are looked down upon as "trashy". I know because I married a Mexican man and have been the recipient of the looks and comments. I like to consider where I live a modern place, open to many things, but for all its progressiveness, it's also backwards and judgmental. But for sure, most people around here don't have much desire to learn about other cultures, much less learn a new language.
    Everyone seems to love the Irish and the German. Every chance someone gets to talk about their roots I hear "I'm proud Irish/German".
    Living in a state like Oklahoma, a lot of people born here are at least partially native American, or know someone who is, so Native American culture is very present here. People are very proud of their Native American ancestry.

Copperknickers

Swedish style? I hope you are not confusing IKEA with general Swedish style.
    Indeed. A lot of people think IKEA is Swedish, and Guiness is Irish, and Hugh Grant and the Queen speak with a 'British' accent, and Scottish people all drink whisky. Whereas in fact they are just single entities that have come to epitomise the identity of the whole country for foreigners. Most people in Scotland hate whisky (at least those under 40), and I'm sure IKEA has the same reputation in Sweden as it has in the rest of Europe: bog standard cheap(ish) furniture with no real identifiable Scandinavian character. Although in fairness, stereotypes about Irish people and guiness are largely correct.

fiercediva

American English
    In Scotland, definitely the USA. Scotland is much more Americanised than England in my opinion. There are people in Scotland who almost sound like they have American accents. Especially people from Aberdeen, I frequently confuse Aberdonians with Americans (those with the smoother anglicised accent, not with the traditional rural Aberdeenshire accent which is not even really English :p). People here love American music: we don't really have 'Scottish singers', with the exception of the most recent generation of bands like the Proclaimers, the Fratellis etc. Until about 1990 we had singers like Rod Stewart, who I actually thought was American for several years despite the fact he's from near where I live. There was actually a Scottish band who travelled to America and pretended to be American, and achieved some small success: they fooled everyone there for a long time before they were found out. The reason being they decided nobody would take them seriously if they knew they were Scottish. And of course people in Glasgow get together several times a year and pretend we are all from Belfast.
    Really? We've loved Scottish acts back to my childhood and we knew where they were from! Annie Lennox? Big Country? Primal Scream? Travis? Teenage Fanclub? I once was the only other passenger on a shuttle flight to Boston with Simple Minds and was nearly beside myself. I'm trying to guess who you meant was trying to hide their origin and the only possibilities I can come up with are Nazareth, Del Amitri or Texas - will you please put me out of misery and reveal the group?

Copperknickers

Really? We've loved Scottish acts back to my childhood and we knew where they were from! Annie Lennox? Big Country? Primal Scream? Travis? Teenage Fanclub?
    I've vaguely heard of them but I had no idea they were popular in the USA. Then again they're not really my type of music. Apart from Annie Lennox, Sweet Dreams and all that. None of them sing in a Scottish accent though as far as I know, their music is indistinguishable from American music to my ears, which is what I mean by not really 'Scottish'.

I once was the only other passenger on a shuttle flight to Boston with Simple Minds and was nearly beside myself. I'm trying to guess who you meant was trying to hide their origin and the only possibilities I can come up with are Nazareth, Del Amitri or Texas - will you please put me out of misery and reveal the group?
    Apologies, I mistyped. What happened was they went to England and pretended to be American. And when I say 'small success' I do mean 'small', they were vaguely well known in the British hip hop scene for a couple of years is all. Here's the story: Silibil N' Brains - Wikipedia.

< Previous | Next >