Forget-me-not (myosotis)

clamor

French - France
Hi :)
I wondered in which languages forget-me-not or a similar term means myosotis.
In German Vergissmeinnicht has the same meaning, and Armenian Անմոռուկ (anmorruk) is related.

What about your language?

• Penyafort

Catalan (Catalonia), Spanish (Spain)
    In Catalan,

nomoblidis ('not-me-forget') exists and figures in the official dictionaries but it does not seem to be a traditional name and often the more 'technical' miosotis is preferred. If I'm not wrong, the origin of the "forget me not" expression in all languages is a rather recent calque from German, so that'd explain why it's not a traditional name.

bibax

Czech (Prague)
    In Czech we do not use the Latin-Greek term Myosotis.

Pomněnka lesní (Myosotis sylvatica), commonly pomněnka;

fem. noun pomněnka from imper. pomni! or nezapomeň!= don't forget!
    adj. lesní = of the wood;

Last edited:

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    In French, the usual name (the only one I knew anyway) is "myosotis".
    But you can supposedly say "oreille-de-souris" (literally "mouse's ear") (never heard that, but I don't know much about flowers).

Yendred

Français - France
    In French, the usual name (the only one I knew anyway) is "myosotis".
    Le myosotis, et puis la rose,
    Ce sont des fleurs qui disent quequ' chose

(Mouloudji)

But you can supposedly say "oreille-de-souris" (literally "mouse's ear") (never heard that, but I don't know much about flowers)
    The Greek etymology of myosotis (myos-otis) is indeed literally "mouse ear" as the shape of its leaves indicates:
    Myosotis arvensis - Wikimedia Commons

I wondered in which languages forget-me-not or a similar term means myosotis.
    In French, the nickname of myosotis is indeed "ne m'oubliez pas" (don't forget me), but it's rather a nickname than a name.

Last edited:

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    In French, the nickname of myosotis is indeed "ne m'oubliez pas" (don't forget me), but it's rather a nickname than a name.
    You can find it in pages like Wikipedia but I must say I've never heard it. I wonder how common that is for "common" people like me who are not into flowers.

Armas

Finnish
    In Finnish it is lemmikki, from the verb lempiä "to love". Lemmikki also means "favourite" and "pet animal".

Zareza

Romanian
    In Romanian: nu-mă-uita (don't forget me) is the common name of the plant miozitis, also called as regionalisms: little bird's eyes / snake's eye / mouse's ear

floare de nu-mă-uita = the flower of the (plant) don't-forget-me (this is the way of saying when we refer to the flower)

Miozitis /miosotis / miozot (< fr. myosotis, cf. lat., gr. myosotis < gr. mys, myos – mouse, ous, otos – ear) - the scientific name of the plant don't forget me

In Finnish it is lemmikki, from the verb lempiä "to love"
    Could it be lemmikki the equivalent of my love / mon amour / mon amor as an appelative ?

Armas

Finnish
    Lemmikki isn't really used like that, but perhaps it was in the past, I don't know. A common expression is koko kansan lemmikki "lemmikki of the whole people", that is, someone/something loved by the whole people, someone/something very popular, for example an artist.

Zareza

Romanian
    Lemmikki isn't really used like that, but perhaps it was in the past, I don't know. A common expression is koko kansan lemmikki "lemmikki of the whole people", that is, someone/something loved by the whole people, someone/something very popular, for example an artist.
    Thank you ! :)

< Previous | Next >