Form a question

Jignesh77

India- hindi
I work on wards for the NHS. how do I ask the question to find out the reason when the bay or Ward is closed for various reasons in order to minimise the spread of the infection?

I am confused whether to use for or with?

Obviously, I can ask- why the bay/ Ward is closed?

Are there any more natural ways to ask the same question?

Thanks

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I’m sorry, Jignesh77, but I’m confused. What is the exact sentence you’re asking about, and which word or phrase would you like to discuss?

Jignesh77

India- hindi
    Thank you! Sorry for not making it clear!

Ok. I can ask- why the bay or Ward is closed?
    Can I ask- what is closed for or with ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I can ask why the bay or ward is closed. :tick:
    Why the bay or ward is closed? :cross:
    What is closed for? :cross:
    What is closed with? :cross:
    What is it closed for? :tick:(but risks sounding impatient or discourteous )

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    As I ndicated, “What is it closed for?” is grammatically correct. It just risks sounding impatient.

It’s fine to say, for example, “The building is closed for repairs.” In that construction, “for repairs” is a prepositional phrase. “What is it closed for?” could be used to elicit that answer, but because we’d be more likely to use “Why is the building closed?” we would tend to hear “What is it closed for?” as similar to “What did you do that for?” That’s more casual and irritated than you may wish to sound in the workplace.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    "Can/Could/Would you tell me why the ward/bay has been closed, please?"
    "What's the reason for closing the bay/ward, please?"
    It surprises me a little that you need to ask, because I would have thought staff would be informed.
    Anyway, we use 'what's the reason for doing something'.
    I hope that helps.
    All the best!

Last edited:

Linkway

British English
    I see Ward 23 (or Bay 4) is closed today. Do you know why it is closed? Do you know when it will open again.

However, it may be better communication if you make clear WHY you are asking. And that will depend on what your job is or the purpose of your visit.
    For example:
    I've come to repair a leaking radiator in Bay 4, but it is closed. Do you know when I'll be able to get in?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >