Form of thank you: Gokurousama

LibertyOrDeath

English
If you were speaking or writing to a superior and you had just met for the first time or, if writing, had never met, and wished to thank them for their help/time/services, which form of thank you would you use?

"Gokurousama" means "thank you for your troubles", but I've also seen it translated literally as "You must have suffered". Is this the appropiate form to use? If it's not, please tell me the correct way in romaji.

Thanks.

• toscairn

Banned
    Japan
    No, it ISN'T appropriate to use "gokurosama" to your boss, or someone you meet for the first time! It's used to express a word of appreciation for the service you've asked, for example, when a carpenter has completed a job you have asked for, or when your colleague has done a bothersome or just ordinary job. Yes, indeed, sometimes it can mean literally, "you must have suffered" but most of the time it used, it has lost its original meaning of "labor" or "trouble," and just means "thank you, I appreciate your job or service."

Instead, "arigato gozaimasu" would be most appropriate. It can be used to a person of whatever social status.

See also,
    http://www.worldvillage.org/gy/gyold/12002.html

LibertyOrDeath

English
    Ah, thank you!

I'm not attempting to learn Japanese (obviously, otherwise I would have known something this simple), I just pick up what I can from watching excessive amounts of anime. I knew it was clearly some form of thank you, just wanted to know when it'd be used. From what I read, I got the impression that what I described was when it would be used. Glad I asked, as I was wrong. I did try looking this up before I came bothering people, but I think I found 6 different opinions. I figured a forum was a better choice, because if someone is wrong, someone else will correct them.

toscairn

Banned
    Japan
    Japanese don't count nowadays as much on polite forms of speaking as they used to, that's why you found six opposite views to mine! This tendency is notably found in anime, where youth culture is dominant.

< Previous | Next >