form of the verb after "it is important for us that"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by faza62, Jan 13, 2018 at 8:18 AM.

1. faza62 Senior Member

Farsi, Iran
    Hi

This thread originates from a translation task I am doing from Persian to English. Look at the following, and help me with the verbs in bold. Should they be in the form of infinitives without "to?"

It is important for us that any person or organization that has the ability to be present in entrepreneurial areas be able to show their capabilities, and that their being in this cycle lead to the growth and development of their path in culture.

Thanks,
    Ali

2. grassy

grassy Senior Member

Warsaw
    Polish
    They sound fine to me. You can also write 'should be' and 'should lead'.

3. dojibear Senior Member

Fresno CA
    English - Northeast US
    The first bold word ("be") looks correct. I think this is a "bare infinitive" (an infinitive without "to").

I think "lead" should be "leads" because it has a singular subject -- it's subject is "their being in this cycle" which is singular, not plural. It is not a bare infinitive in this phrase. It is a present tense verb.

4. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    Are you writing AE or BE, faza?

5. Hildy1 Senior Member

English - US and Canada
    The sentence is correct. However, "be" and "lead" are not infinitives; they are subjunctives.

6. Englishmypassion

Englishmypassion Senior Member

Nainital
    India - Hindi
    :thumbsup:

7. faza62 Senior Member

Farsi, Iran
    How do they differ in this case?

8. manfy Senior Member

Singapore
    German - Austria
    BE wouldn't use present subjunctive here, but indicative:
    "It is important that <they> are able to ..."

AE might be inclined to use subjunctive if the phrase 'it is important' is intended as a "softer" form of 'it is required/demanded':
    "It is important that <they> be able to ..."

I don't see the specific need for subjunctive here, so I'd use indicative in both cases, i.e. any person 'is' and their being 'leads'.

9. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    It is important for us that any person or organization that has the ability to be present in entrepreneurial areas be able to show their capabilities, and that their being in this cycle lead to the growth and development of their path in culture.

Manfy's right that most BE speakers wouldn't feel the subjunctive mood is called for after "It's important for us that..."

Whereas some might use it in the first case (It is important for us that any person[...] be able to show their capabilities), its use in the second seems to me unlikely (for BE). We can easily avoid the problem - and grassy has already mentioned this - by using "should":

It is important for us that any person or organization that has the ability to be present in entrepreneurial areas should be able to show their capabilities, and that their being in this cycle should lead to the growth and development of their path in culture.

The meaning of the last part isn't altogether clear to me, but perhaps it sounds better in context.