formal/official language - "in this office"

< Previous | Next >

littlemonyou

Korean
....and it appears that the name subscribed thereon is the genuine signature of the person aforesaid, his/her signature being of record in this office.

Does "in this office" in the above sentence mean a physical place, or a position of authority? The sentence was found on a legal document.

Thanks!

• heypresto

English - England
    I think it probably means in the (physical) office of whoever has written this document.

You've not given us the source of this document, or any context. Knowing this could help us be more certain.

littlemonyou

Korean
    I think it probably means in the (physical) office of whoever has written this document.

You've not given us the source of this document, or any context. Knowing this could help us be more certain.
    The sentence is written on a US legal document. On the left upper side of the paper, it says "Office of the County Clerk-Recorder" and under it "Business Division" and then an address under them.

I assume the "office" as in "Office of the County Clerk-Recorder" means a position of authority, rather than a physical space. But in the example sentence in my original question, I'm not quite sure....Hence the question. Does it still mean the physical office? Thank you!

heypresto

English - England
    Thank you. That's a great help.

I'm pretty sure the "Office of the County Clerk-Recorder" is a physical space. It could be a whole building or just one office/room/department among other offices/departments in a building.

Somewhere in the files kept in this office, there will be a physical copy of the signature of the 'aforesaid person'.

< Previous | Next >