formal way to say "off the hook" ?

singsing

Korean
Hello eveyone,

what would be a more formal way to say "letting someone off the hook"??

I'd like to say something along the lines of: "It would be like letting them off the hook wihout any consequences for their failures."

I'm afraid "off the hook" sounds too informal.

I'd appreciate your help. Thank you.

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Sorry, I don't think 'not holding them responsible' means the same thing. If you let someone off the hook, you still think they are responsible, but you don't punish them. So for me 'letting them off the hook' can be paraphrased as 'letting them go unpunished'.

singsing

Korean
    Sorry, I don't think 'not holding them responsible' means the same thing. If you let someone off the hook, you still think they are responsible, but you don't punish them. So for me 'letting them off the hook' can be paraphrased as 'letting them go unpunished'.
    Thank you so much, natkretep. :)

crazybrava

English - US; Spanish - Argentina
    Maybe exonerated?
    Exonerate implies the act was justified and bears no punishment. A murderer would be exonerated if they were acting in self-defense, for example. I think it would be misleading in this context.

Last edited:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    A: "The murder took place at 8 o'clock Tuesday night."
    B; "At 8 o'clock Tuesday night, I was having dinner with the archbishop."
    A: "OK, you're off the hook."

A: "You swore and cursed at our best customer. Normally, I would dismiss you, but the boss hates him and is glad he's taken his business elsewhere - you're off the hook."

Being "on the hook" (less common) is to be under the close observation of someone who can inflict a punishment, to be off the hook is to be free of that.

letting them off the hook, = freeing

< Previous | Next >