forming some second <impressions>

< Previous | Next >

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
Dear teachers,

Would you please tell me what" impression" mean here? Does it mean "opinion"?

In the TV show(how I met your mother)

Ted notices that his tastes are changing overnight. His tastes in his shirt, bourbon etc..

Soon after Ted drinks a sip of bourbon, he says: I seem to like bourbon now. I could've sworn I hated bourbon. First the shirt, now the bourbon. I spent 27 years making up my mind about things, right? The movie I saw once and hated, the city I'll never go back cause it was raining the day I visited. Maybe it's time to start forming some second impressions.

Thanks a lot in advance.

• BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    First impressions are important. It is an opinion or a feeling. It is how you feel upon meeting someone for the first time or doing, seeing, eating, etc. something for the first time. Here he is saying that it is time for him to review his opinions of feelings about different things - start forming second impressions.

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    Sorry, one more question:

I have the impression that she’s very good at her job.

Would you please tell me what " impression" means here?

Does it simply mean" opinion"?

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    "have the impression that" here means = I have a vague awareness that she's probably very good at her job. (A feeling, not based on anything too specific or direct.)
    Hi Dale Texas,

Thank you very much indeed for your reply.
    I run into another context:

1 :I got the impression that he was sorely disappointed.
    Does "got" mean " have" here?

2: He manages the feat of being at once soft-spoken and opinionated - giving the impression that he genuinely doesn't care what other people think of him.....

Does " give the impression" mean: put into mind?

Hi Dale Texas,

Thank you very much indeed for your reply.
    I run into another context:

1 :I got the impression that he was sorely disappointed.
    Does "got" mean " have" here?:tick: Yes, to get =(receive/obtain)in the past tense; equivalent with have in the past, "had"

2: He manages the feat of being at once soft-spoken and opinionated - giving the impression that he genuinely doesn't care what other people think of him.....

Does " give the impression" mean: put into mind?
    :thumbsup:

definition of impression #6 in our WR dictionary:

an image in the mind caused by something external to it.

< Previous | Next >