fortunately you failed to "steal" a parking space

epistolario

Tagalog
Let's say you're in a parking lot waiting for one vehicle that was about to leave. A few minutes later, there's a new car that came in and tried to "steal" that parking space from you, but the driver of that car failed, and you we're able to park your car. How would you normally express this whole idea in a short sentence, especially the second one?

I came in first so you should have allowed me to get that vacant space. However, you shamelessly tried to "steal" it from me and fortunately you failed. :mad::p

I think people here would normally say something in our language like how dare you try to go ahead of me; but it's shorter than that because the message is implied.

• Ponyprof

Canadian English
    I would say nothing and walk away fast because you never know who will explode in road rage. Especially around the holiday season.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    In the film Fried green tomatoes, Evelyn Couch, a housewife in her 40s, has her parking space stolen by two girls who taunt her with "We're younger and we're smarter". She responds by smashing up the offending car with hers and explains "Yes, but I'm older and I'm better-insured."

Now, I'm not actually recommending this response... :D

epistolario

Tagalog
    In the film Fried green tomatoes, Evelyn Couch, a housewife in her 40s, has her parking space stolen by two girls who taunt her with "We're younger and we're smarter".
    With your response, I realize that there is no need to use quotation marks (AmE) or inverted commas (BrE) with steal because this is a normal usage of the word. I would normally associate stealing with thieves, shoplifters, etc.

< Previous | Next >