Fortune And Wealth

namlan

Banned
Vietnam
- He really admires people who create wealth by their own hands, not helped by others' influence and standing.

- Instead of this, can I say "...................who create fortune / riches by their own hands,...................."?

Thanks a lot!

NamLan

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    - He really admires people who create wealth by their own hands, not helped by others' influence and standing.

- Instead of this, can I say "...................who create fortune / riches by their own hands,...................."?

Thanks a lot!

NamLan
    This is a difficult question, Namlan, because creating wealth has become journalese for what economists call creating income. The difference between income and wealth is important: wealth is a stock of assets (financial and non-financial), income is a flow (usually of a financial asset, money). The big difference is that wealth is a stock (like water in a lake, measured in gallons) and income a flow (like water in a river, measured in gallons/minute).

So I wouldn't use your proposed formula, and I'd be conscious that create wealth is already an imprecise journalistic expression. It would be safer and less pretentious to say make money.

< Previous | Next >