forum upgrade complete

mkellogg

Administrator
English - US
Hi everybody,

I've completed the basics of the forum upgrade. There is still quite a bit of work to do fixing minor issues, but the forums should mostly be working.

Let me know here if you see any problems.

Mike

• AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    Congratulations! It was fun watching bits of the forum come & go during the upgrade.

I've just discovered one terrific enhancement: the SwiftKey keyboard for Android works properly now. It used to have annoying glitches at the ends of sentences.

Mr.Dent2

English USA
    Since the upgrade I have been unable to log in under my forum name: Mr.Dent
    I have reregistered under this new user name in order to post this. I am confident that I am using the correct user name and password as I have them stored in 2 different places and I have faithfully reproduced them. I did use the "contact us" button at the bottom of the page, but as I have not received a response, I decided to resort to the strategy of posting here.

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    The font is uncomfortably small in the mobile version. Is there a way to set a preference for a larger one?

Hector9

I really like the new version!

Since the upgrade I have been unable to log in under my forum name: Mr.Dent
    I have reregistered under this new user name in order to post this. I am confident that I am using the correct user name and password as I have them stored in 2 different places and I have faithfully reproduced them. I did use the "contact us" button at the bottom of the page, but as I have not received a response, I decided to resort to the strategy of posting here.
    @mkellogg

swift

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Hey, Mike.

Great job with the transition to this new interface.

One thing I noticed, though, is that we no longer have the “ignored content” placeholder you’d set up last year:
    I made some changes. What do you think?

- Now you get a placeholder for the message.
    - The username shows, but not the avatar. I figured that if you didn't much care for somebody, you probably didn't want to see their avatar. I could get rid of the name, too, if you want!
    Could this be restored?

Hector9

@mkellogg why the list doesn't have translation to and from Swedish on the drop down menu list?

Also the "Spanish to" and "Spanish from" should include "Spanish to Italian/German" and "Spanish from Italian/German":

Last edited:

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    So far, so good. The forums seem to be working and I haven't seen any major problems. Keep reporting things that you see that could be fixed. I will be back in the morning and try to fix as much as I can during the day.

Graciela J

Spanish - Argentina
    What is happening with the date in the posts? It appears in a strange format:

21 dAmerica/Argentina/Buenos_Aires Noviembre dAmerica/Argentina/Buenos_Aires 2014

It seems that the software can't replace a variable with the date delimiter.

TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    I like the upgraded version plus there seem to be no problem on my end.

One thing I was wondering about is whether it would be possibile to restore users' info (native language, provenance, etc.) which are no longer displayed (at least on mobile) when they answer forum questions.

philchinamusical

Chinese-Mandarin and Shanghai dialect
    Thanks for the great work! I used to be an administrator of some forum so I know how tough it is to upgrade such one with so many information stored.

However, is it possible to add a little button or link to the thread entries in the thread list page? Then we can just click it to open the entry in new browser tab or window? It might be helpful while we're jumping in and out of the threads looking for certain information.

Thanks again!

bearded

Hello Mike
    At first sight, a couple of features I cannot find in the new version:
    - there used to be a very convenient arrow showing 'top' at the bottom of each page on the right...
    - there used to be a list of my selected forums (those I follow and for which I receive notifications…)
    Possibly, it's me who cannot find those… Otherwise, will they be resumed? Thanks in advance and
    best regards from 'bearded'.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    @mkellogg why the list doesn't have translation to and from Swedish on the drop down menu list?

Also the "Spanish to" and "Spanish from" should include "Spanish to Italian/German" and "Spanish from Italian/German":

This has nothing to do with the upgrade. We don’t have a Swedish dictionary on the website. ;)

Artifacs

Spanish - España
    Hi everybody,

I've completed the basics of the forum upgrade. There is still quite a bit of work to do fixing minor issues, but the forums should mostly be working.

Mike
    I like the new version. Good Job! :)
    I've written a few posts and noticed I can't find the edit link to correct typos and mistakes in the fresh ones.
    Is it just me or anyone noticed this too?

Cheers.

EDIT: Yes. It's working. The EDIT link shows itself when I make the screen bigger. Sorry. False Alarm.

Last edited:

Artifacs

Spanish - España
    Hi everybody,

Mike
    I've written a few posts and noticed I can't find the edit link to correct typos and mistakes in the fresh ones.
    Is it just me? Has anyone else noticed this too?

Cheers.

Amapolas

Castellano rioplatense
    Is it just me? Has anyone else noticed this too?

Cheers.
    The edit links does show in my device. Hope you get that fixed soon, Arti.

lingobingo

English - England
    Yes, where has the EDIT link gone? I would be lost without that facility!

Another change that I hope wasn’t intentional:
    I can no longer hover over the word Alerts to see which of them I haven’t checked. Instead I have to open the whole list, only to find there’s no highlighting to indicate the items I haven’t yet looked at.

The new look is nice though… ;)

EDIT: As you can see, the EDIT link did come up as soon as I posted this, and I’m using it here. But I think maybe there is an issue as it’s disappeared on other posts. Has the time for which it stays been drastically shortened? I hope not.

grassy

Polish
    I have trouble distinguishing threads that have already been replied to from those that haven't. Can the "Replies: 0" be in red as it was in the olden days? Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    The function "select + ctrl" doesn't work properly. Actually, it worked perfectly in the version before last — you could select any parts of the post using "select+ctrl" and apply any editing — change front, color, size etc. In the last one, you could select using "select+ctrl", but only change type color (in order to, e.g. make the type boldface you had to select the needed parts separately). After the current upgrade, I can't even do "select+ctrl". Or is it temporary?

Last edited:

Charlie Parker

English Canada
    So far so good Mike. The only problem I've noticed is that mine always comes up English-Spanish and I'm only interested in French-English or English-French. How can I set it so that is always my default option?

ewie

English English
    The only problem I've noticed is that mine always comes up English-Spanish and I'm only interested in French-English or English-French. How can I set it so that is always my default option?
    :mad::thumbsup:That's annoying.

I also don't think the new Big Capitals for people with no avatar add much ... other than a need to keep checking which A or G or Z is speaking:(

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I also don't think the new Big Capitals for people with no avatar add much ... other than a need to keep checking which A or G or Z is speaking:(
    In the last version no-avatar users were by default identified by the (preferred) gender, now by the first nickname letter. A more useful option I guess could be by the country — e.g., the national flag of your coutnry.

siares

Slovak
    Copy from heypresto's pdf
    I'm having to post this as a PDF because I can't post it as text. Since the upgrade, very little working for me. I can't post anything. My avatar (but no user name, native language, or 'online indicator') comes up in threads, but no box to type anything in. It's the same if I click on 'Quote' or 'Reply' in the previous post. And it's the same when I try to send a private message. I even got a new email address and re-registered here with a new account, but still to no avail. I can highlight some of the previous post, but the little "reply" reply doesn't show. I get a red flag on 'Alerts' button telling me how many I have, but hovering the mouse over it doesn't bring up the drop-down panel like it used to. Having to click through to another page slows things down rather. The dictionary in English Only, and all the other forums I looked at, defaults to English-Spanish. Please could someone tell Paulfromitaly or DonnyB, that I will stick with my original account, and give them my apologies. Thanks
    -----------
    @Paulfromitaly @DonnyB

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    To heypresto!

In the hope that you can read this... thanks for letting us know: I'm sure Mike will see what he can do to rescue you. :)

Loob

English UK
    It seems that when you delete a post, no trace is left - there's no grey block, no "post deleted" message ... just nothing. Deleted threads do, however, leave a trace.

(I'll repeat what I said in my just-deleted post: unlike ewie, I like those coloured capital letters - they make it easier to see who's posting:cool:.)

LATER: deleted posts issue now sorted - thank you, Mike!:)

Last edited:

lingobingo

English - England
    It seems that when you delete a post, no trace is left - there's no grey block, no "post deleted" message ... just nothing. Deleted threads do, however, leave a trace.

(I'll repeat what I said in my just-deleted post: unlike ewie, I like those coloured capital letters - they make it easier to see who's posting:cool:.)
    :thumbsup:

Yes. I’ve just had to explain a comment of mine agreeing with a now deleted post of which no indication remains!

And those capital letters also make it easier to know where you’re up to in your Alerts – assuming we’re not going to get the very useful highlighting back in that menu?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English

The moderators can still see them, as before: we can see who deleted them and what was in them. :eek:

I like the new letter avatars, too - much better than those evil-looking question-marks!

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    Hi everybody :) I think I've taken care of the most problematic issues. I will keep looking through the list of reports to see what is important or easy to fix. Some of the more difficult ones might take a few days to find fixes for.

@heypresto, I think you need to clear your browser's cache, or use a different web browser in the meantime.

swift

Hi, Mike.

Three Four more things I’ve noticed in addition to the ignored placeholder that’s gone:
    1. A bunch of attachments (e.g. screenshots) were lost in the transition. As a result, some posts are less effective at explaining the objects for which people wanted to find an equivalent term in a given language. Other attachments, like book excerpts that illustrate a point, are also gone. Can those be recovered?
    2. A list of following and followers is now visible, although it only shows a reduced number of forum members. When you click on more, it shows nothing. I remember you had masked the list of followers from public view. Can we go back to that setting?
    3. The mobile view looks weird. The header specifically: you don’t get to see the search nor the new window icons unless you switch to the landscape view, but even then they appear in weird places.
    4. The social media functionality is gone too! We used to be able to share a given post on FB, TW and via e-mail. Now we can only share the entire thread page (links at the bottom of the page).

swift

Ok, maybe six:
    5. The Preview will only work if you’ve typed a few characters in the editor box. This seems logic, but there used to be a way to go to the advanced editor even without typing anything beforehand.​
    6. When you edit a post, there are two buttons that take precedence over Save when you tab and hit enter, which seems counterintuitive.​

Loob

English UK
    - there used to be a list of my selected forums (those I follow and for which I receive notifications…)
    I've found it! On the Forums header line, try hitting not the word "Watched" but the little down-arrow next to the word "Watched":)

< Previous | Next >