forum upgrade complete

• TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    I don't see extra spaces. Can you please explain this one to me?
    Well, I'm not sure what to say. :D

I was just now typing the word "explicación" and after I clicked on the "ó" special symbol, I got an extra space after it once it appeared in the text. I don't seem to be getting any extra space now. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong. :eek:

My apologies, and thank you for your prompt response.

Edit. I think I found what I was doing wrong. I would type, say, "explicacion" with an unaccented "o", then highlight the "o", click on "ó" in the special symbol dropdown menu and when it appeared in the text, it created an extra space before and after it.

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    My apologies if this has been asked already. What is my « Reaction score » ?
    Can we react to forum posts, as in like them?
    In my profile there is a page for Newsfeed reactions.
    Unfortunately, none of your content has received any reactions yet. You'll need to keep posting!

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Lots of options are still not available in the mobile version (unless it's just my phone!). Off the top of my head:

- strike-through
    - color
    - size
    - the new right-to-left buttons

Is this going to be fixed?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Not sure if it has been covered already, but I would ike to suggest that links be underline mode as well as blue text. A couple of times I've seen people miss that some word or phrase was a link provided to help them with some issue...

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It would be a boon. I've started bolding and underlining any links I post, but it's a bit of a nuisance. The new colours are very faded-looking, and I often find it necessary to use both colour and bold text to make the difference visible.

Jektor

English (UK)
    Not sure if it has been covered already, but I would ike to suggest that links be underline mode as well as blue text. A couple of times I've seen people miss that some word or phrase was a link provided to help them with some issue...
    It would be a boon. I've started bolding and underlining any links I post, but it's a bit of a nuisance. The new colours are very faded-looking, and I often find it necessary to use both colour and bold text to make the difference visible.
    I agree.
    It seems strange that thread links in the WR dictionary pages are coloured in a distinctive blue, but links in the forums are an almost invisible pale purple. See the distinctive blue links at the bottom of this page:
    wordreference.com - thread links souhaiter

I have started colouring and underlining links as above to make them obvious.
    But it is a drag.
    I hope this can be fixed. It should not be a complicated software change.

JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    My apologies if this has been asked already:

Why doesn't the message that/ when an answer had been edited appear any more (as it used to before the upgrade)?
    That was very useful, IMO.

heypresto

English - England
    It does. At least in the English Only forum it does.

In fact I've just seen an edited post, and it says "Last edited: 20 minutes ago" in the bottom right-hand corner.

I'll edit this post as soon as I've posted it, to see if the message comes up here . . .

Edit. It didn't. :rolleyes: Maybe it will if I edit it after an intervening post.

Just editing this again to see what happens.

Last edited:

JClaudeK

It does. At least in the English Only forum it does.

In fact I've just seen an edited post, and it says "Last edited: 20 minutes ago" in the bottom right-hand corner.
    In German only, French only, French-English Vocabulary and and F-E Grammar it doesn't.

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    There is a time limit on editing a post without causing the "edit"message. I use it frequently to correct my typos! I think the timer is set to five minutes.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    My apologies if this has been asked already:

Why doesn't the message that/ when an answer had been edited appear any more (as it used to before the upgrade)?
    That was very useful, IMO.
    I have not studied it in detail but my impression is that you much more time now to edit (typos and rethinks etc) before the "edited" message occurs. It will eventually appear, but previously you had less time. Anyone else have the same experience?

JClaudeK

There is a time limit on editing a post without causing the "edit"message. I use it frequently to correct my typos! I think the timer is set to five minutes.
    I've edited messages hours later and no "edit"message occured.

Amapolas

Castellano rioplatense
    I do that all the time.
    Do you happen to know how long it is until you can’t edit any more? I sometimes spot my mistakes many days or weeks too late.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    During those five minutes, is the post only available for viewing by the member who posted it? (I hope so, 'cause many's the time I've seen a post of mine put up before I've finished typing it!)

S.V.

Español, México
    Has anybody seen this, where editing X word applies the same format to other paragraphs.

Say after I make "X word" bold, this line down here also got the format. Not sure if it's just me.

EDIT: Hm, that was on Firefox. I logged on Opera and it doesn't seem to be happening. Firefox in Incognito without extensions also does it. Maybe some update bugged it, since it wasn't happening before.

Last edited:

JClaudeK

Has anybody seen this, where editing X word applies the same format to other paragraphs.
    Yes, I'he this problem, too (on Firefox ). It's quite annoying. :(
    Same thing when I want to add a link/ colours/ underlined text etc. (the whole texte after becomes a "link" etc.).

Last edited:

S.V.

Español, México
    Thank you, Claude, for the confirmation. I found this, Baxter says "Xenforo will include a workaround in the 2.1.4 release expected this month (August 2019)" So I guess we will have to wait a bit. :oops:

A workaround is writing everything in the same paragraph first (no bug), and then separating. No bug if all is in 1 paragraph.

Last edited:

Jektor

English (UK)
    I have the same problem. This seems to have started in the past week or so. If I write out several paragraphs of text, and then go back and change the format of a word or sentence (bold, italic, underline, colour etc.), the change often suddenly applies to the whole text. I have to go into the BB Code and correct the setting - the closing BB Code tag is usually incorrectly placed at the end of the whole text instead of at the end of the selected word or sentence being modified (Windows 10 PC with Firefox).

Last edited:

JClaudeK

the closing BB Code tag is usually incorrectly placed at the end of the text instead of at the end of the word or sentence being modified (Windows 10 PC with Firefox).
    + 1

And I have problems with the Smileys - and other signs -, too. They use to disappear when I click on "poster une réponse".

lingobingo

English - England
    There are all sorts of minor problems on my Mac (also using Firefox). It seems that every time there’s an upgrade, one problem gets resolved but it’s replaced by two or three others.

Currently, when I make one word or phrase bold or coloured, often a load of other words get changed too, which I then have to correct manually. I also have to change the font manually if I want it to display while I’m writing, although the text does come up in the right font when actually posted. And emojis (among other problems) now convert to their code if you cut and paste a line with them in.

nimak

Macedonian

Say after I make "X word" bold, this line down here also got the format. Not sure if it's just me.
    ...the closing BB Code tag is usually incorrectly placed at the end of the whole text instead of at the end of the selected word or sentence being modified...
    And I have problems with the Smileys - and other signs -, too. They use to disappear when I click on "poster une réponse".
    Same problems at me too.

Magazine

Español-España.
    Oh, great, I was just going to mention this glitch, very annoying by the way, as you have to go back, delete the bolding, for example, then continue, if you bold again, the whole text bolds again and so on.

As you can probably see here.

There you are, I bolded again in the previous line and the rest of the text is automatically bolded.

Excuse the formatting weirdness ~ this latest version of the site has a mind of its own, and not a good one at that.
    I hear ya, Ewie , I hear ya.

Magazine

Español-España.
    I just discovered another glitch, not so important as the formatting which is really annoying but anyway.

Smileys seem to disappear for no reason. I sent a PM to a mod and all smileys, 3 of them, had disappeared. I had to edit and then they stayed put,. oh!!! Nomak said the same on post 485! Ah well...but for me this is the first time it happened.
    However, I find that's a minor nuisance compared to the formatting.

I hope that can be fixed soon. :)

Last edited:

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    I am now having the same problem as Jektor (#481 above). When I add a link in a post, the whole unabridged link appears by magic at the end of the post as well as where it is supposed to be.

Amapolas

Castellano rioplatense
    Oh, great, I was just going to mention this glitch, very annoying by the way, as you have to go back, delete the bolding, for example, then continue, if you bold again, the whole text bolds again and so on.

As you can probably see here.

There you are, I bolded again in the previous line and the rest of the text is automatically bolded.

I hear ya, Ewie , I hear ya.
    I've just had the bold experience, too. :D

Bevj

English (U.K.)
    I'm getting it when typing in bold, in italics, when adding links and when colouring text . :mad:
    It is really very annoying.

S.V.

Español, México
    Oh, yes, I've been trying to write everything in a paragraph (without enter) and then it doesn't happen. Then I separate at the end.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Which browser are you all using? I'm using Chrome on W7 and I don't see any of the problems described here.

Bevj

English (U.K.)
    Which browser are you all using? I'm using Chrome on W7 and I don't see any of the problems described here.
    I use Firefox and have no intention of changing. I think I read somewhere back in this thread that these glitches are FF-based.
    I don't get these problems on my phone (Chrome).

Magazine

Español-España.
    I use Firefox and have no intention of changing. I think I read somewhere back in this thread that these glitches are FF-based.
    They are firefox based? Well, I have always used FF, too, and don't want to change it, either. I only use the computer.

By the way, I wonder if something is happening: I just posted this on a thread:

.....dijo en mis veintes...quizás fue un error.
    First I used italics and then added the bolding...and the rest of the sentence is ok and didn't change after the formatting. I would like to think the problem has been solved?

< Previous | Next >