forum upgrade complete

< Previous | Next >
  • Packard

USA, English
    I can't seem to post images anymore, but I see that others have been able to do so. How is it performed?

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Can't we hide avatars anymore?
    I don't know if it was possible in the previous version. I remember having written a work-around when the site was upgraded from VBulletin to XenForo: see here. It will still work for the new version that has been installed now (I tried it).

However, the workaround I published in the above mentioned link to emulate the "Toggle Forum" function of VBulletin, does not work anymore the way I described it since the layout of the forum page changed.

However, it is still possible to do it this way:

For each forum language block that you want to hide from the forum main page, enter the following lines in the Stylebot editor:

div.block.block--category.block--category25 {
    display: none;
    }

The "25" in the above line, will hide the complete French language block from the forum main page. You can identify the "25" by clicking on "French" in the title block. In the browser's address bar, yoy will see the following:

""https://forum.wordreference.com/#french.25""

That is where the "25" comes from.

You can add the three lines above for each language block you want to hide from the main forum page. Of course, you have to change the "25" to whatever number corresponds to the language block you want to hide.

Last edited:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I'm very impressed with the new look. I have tried it in Win 10 and 7, Opera and Firefox - all's good.

I can't seem to post images anymore, but I see that others have been able to do so. How is it performed?
    Click the picture icon in the toolbar and insert the image's address - click OK.

Oh... it isn't resizing...

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Now you can only attach pictures (from your computer) if you start a new thread, but not when posting in an existing thread. Also, the attachments made in the previous forum version are not available now.

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    It works! A great many thanks!!:)
    I've just found another way.

When you can't see the Forums header line because you're part-way down a page, the word Forums appears in the top left-hand corner with a down-arrow next to it. Hit the down-arrow (not the word) and you get all the choices you would get by going to the header line and selecting from there. Woo-hoo!:D

Packard

USA, English
    I'm very impressed with the new look. I have tried it in Win 10 and 7, Opera and Firefox - all's good.

Click the picture icon in the toolbar and insert the image's address - click OK.

Oh... it isn't resizing...

Got it! Thanks. And yes, it does not shrink it down in size like it used to. But then you don't have to click it to make it big again.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The image needs to shrink, otherwise people will unwittingly insert wide images. These have the effect of spreading beyond the edge of the screen, pushing the "Quote" and "Reply" buttons off the screen to the right and also extending the length of a line of text, so that the only way to read a question would be to scroll right.

Packard

USA, English
    The image needs to shrink, otherwise people will unwittingly insert wide images. These have the effect of spreading beyond the edge of the screen, pushing the "Quote" and "Reply" buttons off the screen to the right and also extending the length of a line of text, so that the only way to read a question would be to scroll right.
    OK. I get that. But we cannot control that, it that correct? That is a formatting control that has be be part of the software.

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Nice job, Mike.
    There may be some minor adjustments here and there, but the new version looks good.
    Congratulations.

Loob

English UK
    I've just come across a post saying "We do that a lot here", and realised that location information isn't being shown under usernames any more. This doesn't matter where an individual's 'country of residence' and 'country of native language' are one and the same; but could lead to misunderstandings in those - not infrequent - cases where they are different. Could location information (where given) be restored?

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Can we now like posts? There is a ''likes received'' functionality but no way to actually give likes as far as I can see.
    All members who have any number of likes were registered here in 2004, at the start of the forum. That's probably when this option was available for a short time.

Magazine

Español-España.
    Let's see if the edit function works, I only just connected and haven't posted yet.
    I see some formatting is visible now, like the strike through and insert image...Ewie showed me how to do that, I will be forever in his debt :)

so edit function, let's see.

Yes , adding this edit.

Pictures work?
    oh yes, Ewie , they do :)

1555967418493.png

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Today, after the upgrade, you could see in a user's — and your own — profile who follows whom, but now it's not available again. Why was it removed?

Magazine

Español-España.
    I've just come across a post saying "We do that a lot here", and realised that location information isn't being shown under usernames any more.
    Hey!!! I hadn't noticed that either, I personally think location is important, I actually asked somebody the other day where he was from , he just said "Spanish" and made a dozen mistakes in Spanish. I thought he was a non-native speaker and didn't want to say anything he might consider rude.

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    Hey!!! I hadn't noticed that either, I personally think location is important, I actually asked somebody the other day where he was from , he just said "Spanish" and made a dozen mistakes in Spanish. I thought he was a non-native speaker and didn't want to say anything he might consider rude.
    It's currently there in the desktop version but not the mobile version.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Today, after the upgrade, you could see in a user's — and your own — profile who follows whom, but now it's not available again. Why was it removed?
    I think there were concerns over privacy issues, at least as far as being able to view other peoples' lists was concerned.

TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    It's currently there in the desktop version but not the mobile version.
    Yes, I'd love to have it back on the mobile version too.

Also, on desktop it only displays the native language and no longer the provenance/location, which one can only find after clicking on the avatar. Granted, the language spoken is the most important bit of information, but since many users don't indicate the variety of language they speak, I always found it useful to also have the provenance/location shown by default.

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)

Also, on desktop it only displays the native language and no longer the provenance/location, which one can only find after clicking on the avatar. Granted, the language spoken is the most important bit of information, but since many users don't indicate the variety of language they speak, I always found it useful to also have the provenance/location shown by default.
    :thumbsup:

Magazine

Español-España.

Indeed, I agree :thumbsup:
    I am not precisely a newbie but would never have had the idea to click on the avatar to see whether to find the location there.

Good job, Croaciato :thumbsup:

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I thought so too. But I think it wouldn't harm anyone's privacy if one could see at least their own list?...
    That would be useful, I agree. :)

I don't know how easy it would be to reinstate just that, but now that the facility to hover over the 'follow' option on somebody's profile and see whether they're following you or not has been removed, there doesn't seem to be any way of finding out who your followers are (if any).

Amapolas

Castellano rioplatense
    That information is still available in your profile. For instance, I tap on your avatar and go to your profile and read ‘De Madrid al cielo’, as usual. Saludos, amigo Magazine. :)

Magazine

Español-España.
    I used the old version of adding pictures, it works fine.

Find a picture, click on copy image, go to the post and

nothing happens, so weird, I added the previous picture like that, wow, now it doesn't work any more o_Oo_O

1555968841190.png

¡¡HEY!! it shows Ewie is special, it only works with "his" name ;);)

swift

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Following and followers list has been removed from public view. Thanks, Mike!

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    Taking something that has been private, and that people might have expected to remain private, and making it public is not something that we want to do here. A little google searching will show you how people reacted when Facebook did that to people.

Long-term, we can discuss changing that, but we shouldn't do it today.

Amapolas

Castellano rioplatense
    Oops. I can’t edit my previous post. I wanted to add that further reading down the thread showed me our Italian friend had already made you aware of it, but I get a message that I should be considerate of users who may have already responded, and I don’t get permission to edit. Weird. o_O

Jektor

English (UK)
    Sigh... We'll be spending weeks sorting out this mess... Bring back the previous version, which worked fine.

lingobingo

English - England
    Oops. I can’t edit my previous post. I wanted to add that further reading down the thread showed me our Italian friend had already made you aware of it, but I get a message that I should be considerate of users who may have already responded, and I don’t get permission to edit. Weird. o_O
    If you’re getting the “please be considerate” message (since messages disappear entirely now and no one even knows one’s been deleted), you should be able to edit. But it’s different from before. Instead of a new window coming up, you edit the post in its original field.

Magazine

Español-España.
    If you’re getting the “please be considerate” message (since messages disappear entirely now and no one even knows one’s been deleted), you should be able to edit. But it’s different from before. Instead of a new window coming up, you edit the post in its original field.
    Hmmm, how did you find that out? :eek:

Amapolas

Castellano rioplatense
    Oh, I see. Thank you, Lingobingo, that's right. :)
    What mess?

I think this update went remarkably well.

Excellent job Mike!!!!
    I totally agree. It just takes getting used to change. As with everything else in life.- :)

Rodal

Banned
    Castellano (Chile)
    Something that I thought it would be changed is the tiny little tab that exists to access the specialized forums such as Medical Spanish. This continues to be hard to find and unless someone tells you, it's not self intuitive to get there.

Graciela J

Spanish - Argentina
    It isn't on my desktop version. I can only see : Español -España so my Spanish is from Spain.....but on the old version I mentioned Madrid as my location, which has disappeared.
    If you put the mouse cursor over the poster's name, or over the avatar, the profile window will appear with the information.

< Previous | Next >