forum upgrade complete

< Previous | Next >

suzi br

English / England
I still want to have the “like” function in threads. I’m so familiar with it in other forums, I use. I am sure it doesn’t lead to the aggro that some people fear, but it would give us chance to validate a particularly sensible answer easily. Especially useful when “someone” is taking a perverse reading in a thread and you want to add weight to the sensible stuff without adding length to the thread.
;)

Just saying, like.

Last edited:
  • Mary49

Italian
    About inserting images:
    with the old version, when I couldn't copy/paste from a text online I had to take a screenshot of the passage. Then I downloaded the screenshot and inserted it into the post with the button "More options". Now I cannot do it; I cannot paste the image and if I want to insert it all I have is the request for a URL. o_O

Last edited:

Kelly B

USA English
    Something that I thought it would be changed is the tiny little tab that exists to access the specialized forums such as Medical Spanish. This continues to be hard to find and unless someone tells you, it's not self intuitive to get there.
    Yes, same problem for French resources, which I have been complaining about for years. :-(
    Apparently the dictionary search box doesn't show anymore, at least in my 5in. screen. Questo è seccante.
    Same concern here too - I do not see how to search the dictionaries from within the forums, which is the only way I have ever accessed them (using Chrome on a phone at the moment).

taraa

Persian
    Yesterday the posts that I had deleted was in my posts but now I can't see them
    I'm afraid it doesn't work for me yet. I tried looking for a couple of messages of mine that I'd deleted but can't see them.

L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    I agree the deleted posts, completely disappearing, is a little confusing. Especially, if some answers are to the post there is no longer any trace of. Otherwise I am quite impressed with the upgrade. It has resolved some issues I was having with viewing on my tablet.

Loob

English UK
    About inserting images:
    with the old version, when I couldn't copy/paste from a text online I had to take a screenshot of the passage. Then I downloaded the screenshot and inserted it into the post with the button "More options". Now I cannot do it; I cannot paste the image and if I want to insert it all I have is the request for a URL. o_O
    Strangely, the Edit screen allows you to attach a file you've downloaded. So as a short-term workaround, it looks as if you could post something without an image then edit the post to add the image.

Mary49

Italian
    Strangely, the Edit screen allows you to attach a file you've downloaded. So as a short-term workaround, it looks as if you could post something without an image then edit the post to add the image.
    Thanks, I'm going to try just here.Screenshot_2019-04-23 A History of Cant and Slang Dictionaries.png

It works, thanks! But this doesn't mean I like it...

Last edited:

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    Hi.
    So far so good with the updated version. But we still can’t “like” or “dislike” a post. Hope we can add that function to the forum.:)

Jektor

English (UK)
    I still want to have the “like” function in threads. I’m so familiar with it in other forums, I use. I am sure it doesn’t lead to the aggro that some people fear, but it would give us chance to validate a particularly sensible answer easily. Especially useful when “someone” is taking a perverse reading in a thread and you want to add weight to the sensible stuff without adding length to the thread.;)
    Just saying, like.
    Hi.
    So far so good with the updated version. But we still can’t “like” or “dislike” a post. Hope we can add that function to the forum.:)
    :tick: I agree.

JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    Good to know, thanks!
    But in PMs, it doesn't work.

But we still can’t “like” or “dislike” a post. Hope we can add that function to the forum.
    The thumb is still available in the toolbar. Or has there been an other way to like or dislike a post?

Last edited:

Jektor

English (UK)
    Alternative Thumbs-Up Smiley:

Smiley Image Link (just copy and paste the following link into your posting window - you don't need to switch to the BB Code window):

[IMG]https://forum.wordreference.com/attachments/smile01c-jpg.29598/[/IMG]

Last edited:

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    It's a smiley, not a button.
    Thanks. OK. I see your meaning. I knew that. :thumbsup:But I’m more comfortable with a button. The absence of this function seems to make it inconvenient for people to show their attitudes toward a post without actually participating in the discussion.
    PS: I’m not sure if the function would lead to the aggro Suzi has mentioned. But I think there’s no harm piloting this function in our forums.:)

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Thanks. OK. I see your meaning. I knew that. :thumbsup:But I’m more comfortable with a button. The absence of this function seems to make it inconvenient for people to show their attitudes toward a post without actually participating in the discussion.
    PS: I’m not sure if the function would lead to the aggro Suzi has mentioned. But I think there’s no harm piloting this function in our forums.:)
    The "like button" has already been discussed at length a couple of years ago and, as far as I remember, most particpants at that time thought it was not a good idea. One of the arguments was that this is a Language Website, not a social media kind of thing where popularity is important. Having a "like button" would inspire people to post stuff of which they assume it will generate likes instead of giving sound language advice.

Moreover, a "like button" does not give details on why something was liked. Was it because of a correct answer? Or, did the liker find it funny?

As additional information: Instagram is investigating not showing the likes anymore to the world. Only the originator of the post would still see the likes, but the rest of the world not.

Rodal

Banned
    Castellano (Chile)
    Something that I thought it would be changed is the tiny little tab that exists to access the specialized forums such as Medical Spanish. This continues to be hard to find and unless someone tells you, it's not self intuitive to get there.
    I see they modified the tab for specialized terminology since my comment to make it more visible and easy to find. Thank you!

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The only thing I'm missing now is the automatic underlining of links, and they seem to be in a paler shade of blue than before. They look like coloured text, and that can be puzzling.

I'm finding it too easy to miss them when I read through posts quickly.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    I see they modified the tab for specialized terminology since my comment to make it more visible and easy to find. Thank you!
    That is indeed much better.

@mkellogg Could you do the same thing for the "Celebrations" subforum? (On my smartphone, I don't even see the arrow for the "Celebrations" forum below the "Cultural Discussions" forum.

Please? :oops:

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    What is the point of that wheel? Why would one want to disable the editing tools? :confused:
    Hovering over it makes a tooltip appear. It says "Toggle BB code". It changes the editor from the WYSIWYG ("what you see is what you get") mode we're used to, to a mode where you hand-type the codes that control formatting. This option was available somewhere in the old editor, and tripped me up a time or two.

TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    Another thing that I noticed is that if you're currently reading a thread and you get a message that a new post has been published in the same thread, once you click on it so that it fully displays, the notification in the top right corner doesn't automatically disappear as it used to do earlier.

I'm not sure if this intentional or not. I have to add that this is not really a big deal, but still, I figured I'd report it anyways.

Personally, I'm fine with the big capital letters, but wouldn't it make more sense if there were three background colors, say blue for males, pink for females and white for those who prefer not to reveal their gender? This would help people correctly address users as "he" or "she" without having to check their profile. Plus I don't really see the point of having different random colors right now. Or am I missing something?

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    This is not a big deal, but it bothers me that when you click on someone's name, the popup box that appears says "From" for location instead of "Location." This was the same in the previous version of Xenforo, so it doesn't have to do with the upgrade, but I don't like that word choice, because "from" typically indicates your place of origin, not your current location. Someone who was born and raised in Uzbekistan and is currently in Paris temporarily is not "from" Paris. It would be nice if this could be changed to "Location." It actually trips me up because when I see "From" I immediately think it's the person's place of origin.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    elroy, I agree that 'from' & 'location' aren't the same, but I wonder how relevant where a person is living really is?
    Some people move around a lot, and a native speaker could be living elsewhere in the (X)ophone world (born in Dallas, living in Glasgow; born in Montréal, living in Marseille, etc.), or could be living somewhere on just a one- or two year job assignment. We are asked to mention the variety of our first/native language.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Personally, I'm fine with the big capital letters, but wouldn't it make more sense if there were three background colors, say blue for males, pink for females and white for those who prefer not to reveal their gender?
    I noticed that the color for a letter is not always the same; it depends on the user. If there are two users participating in the same thread for whom the avatar shows the same capital letter, the color will be different. I think this is rather convenient to be able to distinguish the posts within the thread.

suzi br

English / England
    It’s been discussed before and the aggro fear dominates. I don’t think it’s a real issue, myself.

We don’t even have to have a dislike button, but voting up strong answers would be functional, it works on other forums and is loads better than this :thumbsup: which requires an actual post and isn’t instantly associated with the “strong” answer. Or even a witty or erudite response. I think we’d benefit from it.
    People get strange “fears” about forum dynamics. I used to be in one that wouldn’t allow PMs, so we’re not THAT bad. o_O

< Previous | Next >