forum upgrade complete

ewie

English English
I suspect that this will turn out to be a purely academic exercise but heyho.

Of those who have expressed their opinion on the new round avatars:
2 were for (actually 1 and 2 x ½)
11 or 12 were against ('11 or 12' because I can't remember if I counted myself :rolleyes: )

To be frank, there are so many things I dislike about this latest upgrade that I can't be bothered to list them.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    11 or 12 were against ('11 or 12' because I can't remember if I counted myself :rolleyes: )
    I think you should disqualify yourself from voting because plain white looks the same in both shapes. :p

swift

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    I guess I'm so used to the circular format in social media that I don't mind it being the standard in these boards. I'm not against going back to the square format, although it could have rounded corners! :p

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    We've now lost the one-click access to "Watched Forums" that Mike brought in a couple of weeks ago. Mike, could you please bring it back? I'd much rather have a "Watched Forums" button than a "My threads" button:).
    Yes, one more procedure for which we have to do two clicks.

Packard

USA, English
    The avatars all look like they are being viewed through a telescope. Why the round avatars? It is really is not attractive most of the avatars were created to be a square or rectangle.

I do wish that the designers of this software had hired a professional graphic artist. The look of the pages is just a bit clunky. It does not affect functionality but it does affect how we feel when we are posting.

And finally the images are no longer sized alike and some are huge and wildly out of proportion to their function. Hopefull there will be a way to deal with that. Perhaps as a clickable thumbnail.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium

To be frank, there are so many things I dislike about this latest upgrade that I can't be bothered to list them.
    Well, I did not give my opinion because, as far as I'm concerned, it is irrelevant. I couldn't care less for round or square avatars: it's all the same.

Amapolas

Castellano rioplatense
    Well, I did not give my opinion because, as far as I'm concerned, it is irrelevant. I couldn't care less for round or square avatars: it's all the same.
    I thought they were too big compared with the text but, as you say, it's quite irrelevant.

But I'm thrilled at my latest discovery: the special characters (the omega pull-down thingy) now includes IPA characters, so you don't have to copy/paste them from another source. Brilliant!

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    (I think this was mentioned above, but) What's the use of "Watched forums"?
    You get a list of the forums you are watching and you see immediately if there are new posts in them; if so, the title of the forum will be in bold. The main forum page wil give you the same information, but you will have to scroll through 90% of forums you are not interested in.

I use the function every now and then.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    OMG I can’t imagine my forum activity without Watched Forums!!!

You can watch the forums you frequent, and when you click “Watched Forums,” it shows you only those forums, so you don’t have to scroll through the whole list to find your forums.

You can also set it up to alert you every time a thread is started in a forum you’re watching. (I have this turned off.)

Loob

English UK
    For "Watched Forums" to work, you need to have Watched some forums, ain'tt - see the button at the top right of the front page of each forum;).
    Can we have the one-click "Watched Forums" back, pleeeeaasssse?
    Seconded:).

Last edited:

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    Can we have the one-click "Watched Forums" back, pleeeeaasssse?
    I checked the stats on that page. Hardly anybody uses it. Can you just create a bookmark in your browser? With a little extra work you could probably even set some shortcut with the bookmark to make it show up quickly.

Loob

English UK
    I checked the stats on that page. Hardly anybody uses it.
    I'm quite surprised by that. The two pages I use most frequently are "Watched forums" and "Threads with your posts". To be fair, I often - though not always - reach "Watched forums" via a browser shortcut.

Don't the options reached by clicking on "My threads" largely duplicate those reached via the down-arrow next to "Find threads"?

Graciela J

Spanish - Argentina
    For the last day or two, the 'bold' and 'italic' buttons have not been behaving as they should. I haven't changed anything at this end.
    I have noticed that. I have to change the editor to use BB codes if I want to write words in italic or bold (other buttons like color font or size don't work,either). It happens in Internet Explorer; in Edge it seems to work well.

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    You wanted a dark theme, right? I will try to find one to add to the board next week.
    I'd like a way to increase the font size in the mobile version. Would this be possible with a skin that's unchanged except for font sizes?

The font the editor uses is easy for me to read. The font it displays messages in is too small.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    I'd like to report that the BB codes for tables are not working (see the help page>bb codes).

Another question is if it's possible to devise a button "copy formatting"? "Remove formatting" is already there.

siares

Slovak
    Also, when I click on a thread title, I see the page or the latest page beginning at the top, not after the last previous post.
    Wasn't it before that you went to the top of first page?
    ....Now the 'unread posts' is not available on the bottom of the page, but I think whenever I click on a long thread, not title, but on the button 'x time ago'; it brings me to the first post I haven't read.
    __
    Another vote for watched forums one click option.
    And a vote against round avatars.

I like ewie's sticking it to the letter system.:)

L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂

I am delighted Mike Kellogg has updated the forum, I imagine it takes a fair old effort to do so. When I choose my avatar it fitted nicely with the square format. If I felt strongly about the corners being clipped off, I would simply go find myself a new, different image better adapted to the round avatar now available. Honestly, in the grand scheme of things does it really matter if the avatars are round or square? I am genuinely surprised at the negativity of some members. People are reluctant to change, I get that. However the following quote seems particularly relevant to me.
    « He that will not apply new remedies must expect new evils; for time is the greatest innovator.”
    Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626).
    This isn’t an upgrade just for the sake of upgrading. Had Mike not upgraded, we would have a less secure website. I prefer having a secure website and am quite prepared to put up with a few minor inconveniences.
    We like to think the world we live in is a given and a constant, but in truth it’s continually changing and re-inventing itself.
    When I was a lad, of you wanted to look up something in a dictionary, it meant opening a book of that name. If one didn’t know exactly how to spell the word, there was every chance one might not find the correct page. That meant a fruitless search. Isn’t it amazing that nowadays we can go online and type in our query, have several spelling options proposed to us and get the definition in a click? And to those who take such connivences for granted, I say shame on you.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I'm not particularly upset about the new avators looking like baubles on a Christmas tree. Perhaps they take up fewer pixies (pixles? whatever...) than the square ones did.

I had a look at the other WR style options (extreme bottom left of the page) and noticed that if I choose the black background I can have the added advantage of an arrow that zooms me to the top or to the bottom of the page. I was wondering if we could have that on the plain vanilla version as well.

heypresto

English - England
    I can't see the arrow, but unless I'm misunderstanding you, you can use the 'home' and 'end' keys on your keyboard to do that.

Edit: I've just seen the arrows, and yes, 'home' and 'end' do the same job.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    My keyboard doesn't do that, or at least it doesn't work for me on this forum.

Have you looked at the option called Shades of Grey (cream accent)? I like the feel of it, but it tires my eyes.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Yes, but there's no down arrow. That's odd that this would change with a change of the "skin"!

Macs don't have HOME and END keys. Does anyone know what the equivalents are?

L'irlandais

Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Does anyone agree that if someone is interested in the Other Languages forum, they might assume that it only deals with Albanian, Azeri, Basque and Yiddish? These four languages are made visible on the main page because they have a "virtual sub-forum", but I think this can be misleading.
    The forum main page mentions 50 languages. Given that the Other languages forum covers 6, or 7 thousand* other living languages, a compromise is necessary.
    *How Many World Languages Are There? | Day Translations

< Previous | Next >