forum upgrade to Xenforo 2.2

mkellogg

Administrator
English - US
Hi everybody, I will be doing an upgrade of the forums to the next major version, Xenforo 2.2, starting at 5pm Eastern today. Expect to see some changes! Nothing major, don't worry.

After the upgrade, I need to make quite a few manual changes and I'm sure there will be problems. Let me know here if you notice that something has gone wrong.

EDIT: Upgrade complete! Please let me know if anything is not working correctly or looks wrong. Currently, I know that Previous | Next is missing from the thread view.

Last edited:
  • swift

Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    So far so good, Mike! Congratulations!

The editor does look different, but nothing too drastic.

Oh, well… Maybe one minor thing. Searching for all content by X doesn’t give the most recent posts, but shows stuff from 2009 or earlier.

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    The editor does look different, but nothing too drastic.
    Yes, they styled it a bit better. I need to change the editor buttons back to what they were before, not that I remember very well.

Rebuilding the search engine now. It won't show everything for a few hours.

swift

There seems to be a formatting bug with tables. Check out this example: We “Top Gun” him.

I just sent you another formatting issue via PM.

swift

This is a test for the table issue:
    gun n(handgun) (genérico)arma nf
    She put the gun in its holster.
    Puso el arma en su funda.
    gun n(rifle)rifle nm
    fusil nm
    It was a long-barrelled gun.
    Era un rifle de cañón largo

Apparently, copying and pasting formatted text is not the culprit. Hmm...

Let me try inserting a table from scratch:
    NameDate of BirthCountry of Origin
    Alba Díaz1/10/1985Spain
    Jane Fable12/5/1976United States

So it seems that post could be a one-off. 🤔

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Hi Swift and Mike,

The problem with the table that you linked to is due to the fact that the [TABLE] ... [/TABLE] BCC code is missing in that post (I don't know why).

swift

The post was published at 3 PM CST, which is exactly the time the upgrade began. Perhaps the message was submitted within a split second before the upgrade started and something was broken. :D

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    While looking at the above problem, I also saw that the "preview" button works differently than before. Before the update, when you pressed the "preview" button, you got your original edit window and below a preview how it would look. Now you only get the preview and it looks like the preview toggles between a preview and an edit window.

JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    Hi Mike,
    Since the upgrade, it's impossible for me to copy and paste the answers of other members with the link to the anwser.

For example:
    Great job! Thanks, Mike!
    it's impossible to copy this ↑ (the "link-arrow" doesn't apear when I want to copy).

bearded

Hello
    Since an upgrade is being made, would it not be possible to add the icon for 'Draft (save draft/delete draft)' also to the toolbar of the Conversations? It would be a very useful feature.

Last edited:

swift

Hello
    Since an upgrade is being made, would it not be possible to add the icon for 'Draft (save draft/delete draft)' also to the toolbar of the Conversations? It would be a very useful feature.
    Are you using a mobile device, Mr Bearded? I can see the Draft icon on my laptop:
    1617538379991.png

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    Hi Mike,
    Since the upgrade, it's impossible for me to copy and paste the answers of other members with the link to the anwser.

For example:

it's impossible to copy this ↑ (the "link-arrow" doesn't apear when I want to copy).
    Hi, JClaude. Seems like Xenforo designed it that way so that you don't quote a quote. From what I read, disallowing nested quotes like this is not a new feature.

bearded

@swift
    Sure it's here in the threads, Mr. Swift. But it does not appear in the PMs ('conversations'). Would it be possible to add it there, too?
    When I compose a private-conversation text, it would be convenient to have e.g. 'save draft' while I abandon the conversation for a moment in order to look up a word in a dictionary - and thus make sure that what I have written so far will not disappear...

I'm using a normal computer with Windows 10.

you just need to click the "more option/3 vertical dots" button
    No, sorry, other icons will appear but not the 'draft' button.

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    would it not be possible to add the icon for 'Draft (save draft/delete draft)' also to the toolbar of the Conversations?
    Hi, Bearded. If your browser window is the same width, you should see the same buttons in conversations as in threads, and the Drafts button should be there. If not, test in another web browser and maybe clear the cache of your current browser.

JClaudeK

Before the upgrade, I had no problem to quote from others (this is very useful, especillay when you want to quote something from an other thread!) , but now, I can't copy posts from others any more.

Now, before posting an anwser (in the same thread), your post quoted looks like that (no arrow).
    (Sorry, I can't reduce the attached document :confused:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-04 forum upgrade to Xenforo 2 2.png
      Screenshot_2021-04-04 forum upgrade to Xenforo 2 2.png
      3.5 KB · Views: 33
    Last edited:

swift

Salut, @JClaudeK !

I think the quote looks that way only while you’re still working in the editor box. Once you post your message, the arrow does appear.

JClaudeK

the quote looks that way only while you’re still working in the editor box.
    "no arrow while being in the editor box": That's perhaps why I can't copy them afterwards.

Here ↓ a (unfortunately unreduced) copy before I send my answer

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-04 forum upgrade to Xenforo 2 2(1).png
      Screenshot_2021-04-04 forum upgrade to Xenforo 2 2(1).png
      12.1 KB · Views: 30

swift

Yes, it does.
    But before, copied (with the 'answer' button) posts had the arrow even when they still were in the editor box.
    I’m not sure why that is an issue. :oops:
    That's perhaps why I can't copy them afterwards.
    Yeah, I think I’m not following. Could you explain what you are trying to do, step by step?

JClaudeK

The multiple groups of three dots is confusing
    ..... and not very practical, if I may say it. ;)

Yeah, I think I’m not following. Could you explain what you are trying to do, step by step?
    Sorry for my bad English.

I just realized that now, when I want to quote a message from someone else, let's say this one
    Once you post your message, the arrow does appear.
    I have to use the "quote" button (two steps), whereas before, it was possible to copy and paste somebody's message (a very quick operation!).
    Well, I have to get used to it. :)

swift

I’m not sure about what you mean by “copy and paste quotes.” :(

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    Is there a list of everything that has changed in this update?
    Yes, on Xenforo's website, you can find the new features for "xenforo 2.2". Most of the new features are just options that won't change anything here unless we choose to use them. I guess one nice one is the Progressive Web App for Android users, which is basically a more app-like experience.

bearded

I noticed that the three dots (for the 'save draft' feature) are missing in the editing area, if I'm not mistaken. When you wish to edit a post of yours and you add a sentence, then in the middle of it you need to have a look at a dictionary, everything you have added so far disappears altogether and you have to write it anew from the start...

Gommik

vulcan
    When I open a page, or change thread, etc, instead of the image profile it appears, for a second, a huge font with the name of the account-holder. So if I close this page and reopen it, instead of my image I see for a while, GOM... And similar for the others members. It' s possible is a problem of my pc or line, maybe it's slow. To me is the only chance I've noticed, but I'm not regular reader.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    It's good to see the "Previous" and "Next" buttons back. Am I imagining things or have they reversed their significance?

Or perhaps they've only reversed their positions. I typically browse a forum (usually "English Only") by beginning at the most recent thread, and then repeatedly jumping to the nextmost recent one. To do this, I now have to click the "previous" button. I could have sworn that, before the upgrade, I always pressed the "next" button for this. I could be mistaken, but what I am sure of is that the button I pressed was to the right of the other one, and now I have to press the one on the left.

It's no big deal, and it's arguably "more correct" now, it's just that it's always a bit disconcerting when behaviour changes unexpectedly from the way it's "always" been.

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I find the clock icon that shows former user names utterly useless. :( Too bad that bandwidth (or whatever) wasn’t used to add numbers to conversations!!

After inserting a quote from a website, I wasn't able to add text to my post anywhere outside of the quote box. You'll see that I had to split the post in two. I think it's a bug in the new version, Mike.

Also, could you make it possible to quote or reply to others when editing your post? I find the lack of this feature a glaring omission

Thank you for your hard work. I like the new look!

mkellogg

Administrator
    English - US
    three dots (for the 'save draft' feature) are missing in the editing area
    I see. That is the way Xenforo designed it. I can understand how it would be complicated for them to get that button to work for edits, but that doesn't help you! Nothing I can really do about this one or other editor issues unfortunately.

for a second, a huge font with the name of the account-holder
    I see that, too, and I think it is worse than before. I'll look into it.

have they reversed their significance?

Or perhaps they've only reversed their positions.
    I don't know! I remember that there was some debate when we first got those buttons. Does Previous mean the previous one in the list or in time? I have no idea if they changed which one is which, but I believe you when you say that they are switched!

the clock icon that shows former user names utterly useless
    Well, it might be helpful if somebody has their username changed and you are wondering who they used to be. I haven't seen it yet. I may change my mind when I do run across it.

I wasn't able to add text to my post anywhere outside of the quote box.
    I've had this problem myself. I removed my quote hit return a few times to add some spacing and then put the quote in the middle. That did the job. Again, there isn't much that I can do for editor issues like this.

Mike

pointvirgule

langue française
    After inserting a quote from a website, I wasn't able to add text to my post anywhere outside of the quote box.
    Yes, I've had this problem too. However, I've noticed that if you click under the quote box *while it's still empty*, you'll then be able to type text under it. Odd.

Last edited:

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    Yes, I've had this problem too. However, I've noticed that if you click under the quote box *while it's still empty*, you'll then be able to type text outside of it. Odd.
    There is another way. After having quoted your text, you can press the [] (next to the diskette symbol in the menu bar); this will show the BCC code and you will see that the cursor is just behind the [/QUOTE] BCC code. You can then press enter and press [] again to go back to normal mode. You can now type below your quoted box.

Peterdg

Dutch - Belgium
    I have been playing a bit and it's even less complex.

You paste your text. You then select all the text and you press the quote icon. You now have your quote box displayed. Now you click in the quote box somewhere behind the last word of the quote and then press enter. It will not add a line inside of the quote, but it will add a line below the quoted box.

That adds another problem: how do you add something more to the quote box after having created the quote box? For that, you still need to use the [] function, where you can choose where the cursor is when you press enter.

I think this complexity is introduced by the fact that the editor now displays quoted text as if it were in preview mode. Before the upgrade, while you were editing, the quotes were displayed with the BCC code and not as a quoted box.

So, before the upgrade, if you quoted something, it looked like this in the edit box:

[QUOTE]This is a quote[/QUOTE]

Now it is displayed like this:

This is a quote

Wow, are you all ever clever! Thank you very much for your suggestions for hacking around the problem. I tried some of this out and especially like using the [] because it gives me the old flexibility of typing before, within, or after the quote.

In replying to a different thread, I noticed the BB code mode came right along with me. I had to toggle out of it to use the features in the menu bar

Last edited:

elroy

Imperfect mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    it might be helpful if somebody has their username changed and you are wondering who they used to be.
    Hypothetically, yes. But on WRF, only an infinitesimal fraction of user names ever get changed, so if it's not utterly useless here it's at best virtually useless. :D

Anyway, that did occur to me as the motivation behind introducing it. But it puzzles me that that would have been considered to have been more desirable and more worth investing in than, for example,
    - adding numbers to conversation messages
    - increasing the editing window for conversation messages (even mods can't edit messages after 15 minutes!)
    - being able to delete conversations (there is a workaround which is to leave a conversation and opt out of receiving new messages, but a "delete" button would be much more efficient!)
    - being able to search conversations (the closest thing we've got is the "Filter" feature, which filters conversations by either a specific starter or a specific recipient. This has some use, but it's quite limited and doesn't take care of the majority of our conversation searching needs).
    - allowing the "Quote" feature to transfer between threads and conversations (if I highlight a portion of a post and hit "quote," I have the option to "Insert quotes" in a thread, but that option doesn't show in a conversation, and vice versa)

Or are any of these things you can change? That would be great.