fostered sustained regional unemployment differences.

< Previous | Next >

Roundhouse

Bengali
In a think tank report, I got this sentence:

It has also likely reduced inter-regional mobility from low productivity to high productivity regions and fostered sustained regional unemployment differences.
I don't quite understand the part in bold. From dictionaries, fostered = encourage the development of sth and sustained = continue for a long time.

It seems to say that "It has ... encouraged the development of continued differences in the unemployment levels between regions".

Is that right? I still find the wording very unclear. Sustained, regional, and unemployment are adjectives here right? They are modifying "differences".

• The Newt

English - US
    "Fostered" probably isn't the best word here, because it tends to refer to encouraging positive things, but you have the right idea. "It" (whatever "it" is) has played a role in creating long-term differences in unemployment levels among different regions.

Roundhouse

Bengali
    "Fostered" probably isn't the best word here, because it tends to refer to encouraging positive things, but you have the right idea. "It" (whatever "it" is) has played a role in creating long-term differences in unemployment levels among different regions.
    Hello The Newt, thanks for the answer. I was feeling that too - the use of "foster" seemed a bit out of place. And just one small question - by "creating" you mean "sustaining" right?

The Newt

English - US
    Hello The Newt, thanks for the answer. I was feeling that too - the use of "foster" seemed a bit out of place. And just one small question - by "creating" you mean "sustaining" right?
    Not exactly. "Long-term" (together with "creating") was my attempt to paraphrase "sustaining."

< Previous | Next >