four-fifty

longxianchen

chinese
Hi
Pam hailed a taxi and told the driver where she wanted to go. The driver started the meter. Pam checked the meter a few times and said: "Hmm, four-fifty. That's about right." She then said: "turn left at the next traffic light." "All right.", said the driver.

What does four-fifty mean please? Is it fifty four miles?
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
  • longxianchen

chinese
    That's right, because I find another sentence at the end of the passage:
    She paid the fare and gave him a tip saying "Here's six-twenty plus a little extra for you."
    Thank you both.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The only thing that puzzles me is why Pam had to check the meter a few times before she noted the "flag charge", if that is what is meant by "four-fifty".

Whatever currency is meant, I don't think we would normally write amounts with a hyphen. (?)

longxianchen

chinese
    The only thing that puzzles me is why Pam had to check the meter a few times before she noted the "flag charge", if that is what is meant by "four-fifty".

Whatever currency is meant, I don't think we would normally write amounts with a hyphen. (?)
    The following in the picture is all the context:
    图片2.png

Last edited:

heypresto

English - England
    It looks as if her comment about four fifty being about right was made after one of several looks at the meter. And yes, it would be the fare it was showing at the time.

< Previous | Next >